How does your cat wake you up?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

So I know venturing to say probably over 90% of members here sleep in bed with their cats. Do they wake you up in the morning? How do they do it........ Xena does the sweetest thing, she will rub my head & then stick her cold nose in my ear. It tickles but is oh so cute!! And I never need an alarm lol

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine doesn't sleep with me, but he wakes me up. Usually it's a chorus of really funny sounding meows, and then he'll walk over my pillow, and sit or lie next to me. By that time I'm usually awake so I give him pets. If I need to sleep in, I just tell him so. He leaves the room after a while if I don't get out of bed, only to come back an hour or so later and try again.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They bang on my door and meow.  I'm in that 10% where the cats aren't allowed in my bedroom.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time l wake my cats up 

Only my youngest seems to have an internal clock, he's quite often up or awake when l get up. The other two try to make themselves heavier when l'm making the bed.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By jumping on my bed, several times a night. Ugh. Usually with a toy. He had stopped this after his first few weeks and had been sleeping sweetly beside me for a long while, but then my roommate started leaving his door open at night, since he doesn't sleep when the moon is out. So now Oliver will go back and forth between our rooms. 

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a cat right now (
) but I know how my mom's cat wakes them up. She licks their foreheads.
 It is a very effective method lol.

Last edited:

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how she figured this out, but sitting on someone's bladder at 4am usually gets your human outta bed.

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You must fix this. 
I know. My cat passed last summer from cancer. I opted to hold off on adopting because of the renovation work that needed to be done in my apartment. I'm not paying for most of it, but I didn't want to risk a new cat being overly traumatized by the noise and activity or risk being accidentally let outside or injured during the process. I actually already have my eye on a potential adoptee, if he's still at the shelter when the work is done and I'm ready to bring a new cat into my home.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know. My cat passed last summer from cancer. I opted to hold off on adopting because of the renovation work that needed to be done in my apartment. I'm not paying for most of it, but I didn't want to risk a new cat being overly traumatized by the noise and activity or risk being accidentally let outside or injured during the process. I actually already have my eye on a potential adoptee, if he's still at the shelter when the work is done and I'm ready to bring a new cat into my home.
I'm sorry about your kitty.  I hope you get a new friend soon!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I'm sorry about your kitty.  I hope you get a new friend soon!
Me too @DragonHeart

Mouse doesn't get me up in the morning, he stays curled up at my feet or legs until I start to wake up then looks at me waiting for his belly rubs.  My previous girls did that paws on the face routine, and the cold nose in ear trick @Nebula, it was a sure fire way to wake me up but they still had to jump about and pester more if they wanted me to climb out of my bed to feed them on cold winter mornings! 
  The jump on bladder trick was definitely in their repetoire. 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kismet doesn't wake us up, and politely waits for us to wake up. Mo on the other hand... around 5 or 6 in the morning, he wanders the apartment aimlessly yowling for food, and then crawls into our bed, kneads his claws into the sheets/blanket/our skin and licks any exposed skin mercilessly until I shoo him or my boyfriend thumps him down onto the bed. I hate being licked! After that, he'll usually curl up and sleep with us till one of us gets up, and then he'll trod alongside, rub and lick our legs, and meow in anticipation for food. If my boyfriend gets up first (relatively rare), he'll follow him while he makes his coffee and then come back and sit in the bedroom staring at me.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My Miss Purdy starts jumping from the window ledge to the bed Kerplunk over and over and sticks her bum in my face. Sometimes she chews my hair. If I do not get up she curls up next to me and sleeps.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have two waking me up scenarios here, and it depends on if snick is up in bed with me that night/morning which one snick uses.

if snick is up in bed with me, she's under the blankets snuggled behind my knees. very early (about 5am or so), snick starts trying to wake me up for her morning snuggles. she pushes her head up under the covers several times, which wakes me up a bit. we do morning snuggles somewhere between 7 and 8 am or so. if it's earlier than that, i'll lift up the covers and ask snick if she wants to come up (from behind my knees) and snuggle next to mommy (-'s chest) -- which she always does, and we settle in and both go back to sleep. snick may try to wake me up another time or two before it's time to get up, but i lift the covers and talk to her for a minute and we'll settle back in.

if snick decides to sleep downstairs for the night, then every so often throughout the night she'll "sing" to me. sometimes i'll talk to her, to try to call her to come upstairs to bed but she usually won't come up to bed these nights.