How does your cat "hunt"?

thetigerden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not until my second cat did I found out that each kitty has her own style of playing DaMouse/DaBird. Trying to figure out what makes them unleash those hunter instincts will always be incredibly fascinating. Right?

My girl is all about speed. She will chase that toy until I get more tired than her. Stuff needs to be moving if I want to catch her attention. She loves running the length of my hallway and then making a leap in the air as the toy rises, catching it between her paws. Yesterday I saw her jump over 3 feet in the air, from the ground. That was beautiful. Also, height. The more she needs to climb, the better. She's a "tree dweller" alright.

My boy is a mastermind. I don't think I've ever seen him approach the "prey" boldly. He will circle it, go at it from different directions, cackle viciously, scratching the floor with his little paws, preparing for attack, tail twitching... and then!!!!... he just changes direction again. 
 The really fun part for him is when I hide his toy, because you can actually see him growing so intrigued by "where the hell could it be hiding now?" 

So cute!

What about your babies? What tactics do they employ when "hunting"?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have the world's laziest cats.. they just lie on their backs and get me to dangle things so they can hit them..

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S&S will run and jump several feet high to grab the feathers. Sheba will wait till it gets close, then grab. Julie and Silly don't have much use for anything that is not alive and flying.  Let a moth get in the house, though, and I cover my head because there will be cats jumping everywhere.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles turns it into an acrobatic display. She will get herself panting after doing all these flips and crazy moves.  She gets kind of intense!

Mooch sits back and watches unless Noodles isn't around.  She never does as much jumping though.