How does this skin bouncing test score for hydration level? (Video)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I will show this to the vet too. I took this video in the morning shortly after Hima had her wet food breakfast but I did the test again in the afternoon after she had boiled turkey as snacks and the other half of wet food, and the result wasn't really different. Hopefully video might help others too.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMO I think that's a good one. That's pretty much the quickest bounce back I can achieve with specter and she gets more water in her than I do. :flail:It's a bad score when it pauses or doesnt go fully back to it's shape

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I think that's a good one. That's pretty much the quickest bounce back I can achieve with specter and she gets more water in her than I do. :flail:It's a bad score when it pauses or doesnt go fully back to it's shape
I hope you are right! Let's say on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best hydrated, to me this looks like a 6 maybe. Then again I haven't seen the skin bounce back any faster on Hima either so, not sure! :dunno:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've done that with Feeby and hers typically bounces back a tad bit quicker than that. But, Hima's is going back pretty quick.

I wonder if age and/or muscle mass plays a role in how fast the skin bounces back? Feeby is certainly up there in age and has lost some muscle mass in recent years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done that with Feeby and hers typically bounces back a tad bit quicker than that. But, Hima's is going back pretty quick.

I wonder if age and/or muscle mass plays a role in how fast the skin bounces back? Feeby is certainly up there in age and has lost some muscle mass in recent years.
With humans it certainly would. I don’t have a good reason to think it would be different for cats. Dogs’ skin get loose as they age too.