How does my cat keep getting a dirty chin?

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This somewhat related to my previous post about my cat who I first suspected had something wrong with her gums, to then be told she had fleas on her chin, and now I'm not even sure if she had fleas.

She seems to be doing good overall, her energy is back and she's (mostly) back to her old self. We were told by the vet that she had flea dirt on her chin, which she likely got from my husband's brother who has dogs who have fleas. So we bought a flea comb (she was treated for fleas at the vet and should be fine for 3 months) and a lot of stuff came out of her chin, but nowhere else. I looked online and read about a test that can be done where you put the suspected fleas on a wet paper towel and if it shows up red/pinkish, that means they're fleas. The problem is that this didn't happen with what came off her chin, it didn't dissolve in water whatsoever. This is the most recent cleaning we did on her and how much came off. The tissue was dry but I later tested it with a wet tissue and still, there was no color change so I'm suspecting this is dirt and not fleas. But how is she getting such a dirty chin? All 3 of my cats are indoor and there's no dirt anywhere in the house that they can get into. Her chin is very dark lately and it's as if it's stuck to her skin or it keeps building up there, and I'm at a loss at what to do or what it even could be.

It doesn't look like cat acne to me, and I clean their dishes/bowls regularly and none of the other cats seem to have any issues. I bought some flea shampoo and did intend to give all 3 a bath with it if it agrees with their skin, but seeing as the build up is on her chin, I'm unsure if a bath would even help.

Edit: Actually, upon further inspection and research, it may actually be cat acne. I just thought cat acne formed in red, sore looking spots but apparently not. Is there any treatment at home I can safely use on her? All of their bowls are either ceramic, glass or stainless steel.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats can be prone to chin acne, even through genetics, and that is likely the situation with your cat. She just gets clogged hair follicles in that area, probably by very virtue of her chin coming in contact with the food. It may take you doing a routine cleaning of her chin on a regular basis. And, I am sure by now, you are not using plastic bowls/dishes, so I won't even go there.

I believe using a topical salicylic acid wipe (no human acne products) regularly might be something to try and see what happens. It might even be as simple as using a clean wettened cloth with warm water. Ask the vet to help with the best wipe to use, and don't let them tell you this is from fleas, as it is apparently not.

If keeping her chin clean doesn't stop this, then the next step might be to consult with a vet dermatologist to see if they can pinpoint another reason.

I struggle with the idea that a food allergy could cause just the acne and nothing else but have heard it can be the case, sometimes, as I briefly mentioned above, I think it can be due to her chin touching the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats can be prone to chin acne, even through genetics, and that is likely the situation with your cat. She just gets clogged hair follicles in that area, probably by very virtue of her chin coming in contact with the food. It may take you doing a routine cleaning of her chin on a regular basis. And, I am sure by now, you are not using plastic bowls/dishes, so I won't even go there.

I believe using a topical salicylic acid wipe (no human acne products) regularly might be something to try and see what happens. It might even be as simple as using a clean wettened cloth with warm water. Ask the vet to help with the best wipe to use, and don't let them tell you this is from fleas, as it is apparently not.

If keeping her chin clean doesn't stop this, then the next step might be to consult with a vet dermatologist to see if they can pinpoint another reason.

I struggle with the idea that a food allergy could cause just the acne and nothing else but have heard it can be the case, sometimes, as I briefly mentioned above, I think it can be due to her chin touching the food.
Do you think this would work? It came up when searching for cat acne treatment at home, but it apparently can also help with wounds and such. If at-home treatments don't work or it gets worse, then we will absolutely take her to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with using any sort of product on a cat with acne, so I can't say whether or not that is a good product. I noticed that it was rated the top treatment by iheartcats, but have no idea if that is a reliable source. FWIW, drugs.com recognizes the product, and it appears safe.
Vetericyn Plus Feline Antimicrobial Facial Therapy for Animal Use - Drugs.com
Thank you! We bought some today and have started to use it. Hopefully it'll clear up but if it doesn't, we'll take her back to the vet.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat started to get it but now I religiously keep his bowls CLEAN (I have multiple bowls of same type to swap) and I cleaned his chin with warm water and some colloidal silver. Never had another issue!