How does a cat groom with a cone?

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has red, itchy, swollen eye on right side. I still can’t get any clue how and why he has. He’s only an indoor cat and has no contact with other cat or person. His eye was totally fine even 6 am but when I woke up at 10 am, I noticed his eye is a red.
I wanted to see my vet immediately but no appointment available. I had to run for ER.
ER vet said he needs to have a cone for 10 days with antibiotic eye drop.

My concern is he wanted to clean his private area after he urines or poops.
How do I clean his area?
I asked a vet assistant if it’s okay to remove his cone for mins and they dont recommend for his adjustment.

My cat is kind of very active so I maybe agree to keep him on cone. I feel sorry but he shouldn’t scratch his eye.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Taking it off and putting it back on could turn out stressful for you and him.

Unless he has very loose stools, he will be fine even if he can't groom much for 10 days. You can help him with a clean, damp cloth if he allows it if you notice him needing the help. If he lets you brush his fur, he might enjoy that since he can't groom right now.

I also feel crappy about having to put a cone on a cat (and recently had to keep one in a cone for a month and a half). It's for his own good. He likely won't be happy about it, but after his eye is better and the cone comes off in 10 days, he will quickly get over the episode and get back to normal.

Eyes are delicate so I recommend sticking to what the vet said - cone so he can't do damage and eye drops as prescribed. He might not like it but he'll be better off for it in the long run :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much ☺ for your advice. I agree with you taking it off and on gives him more stress.
when I see his eye is blinking with red eye or smaller eye for discomfort, I feel more sorry 😢 so I have to endure with him for 10 days…

Oh, already time to give him 2nd eye drop for 2:30 am…It’s every 12 hours…

He’s a very clean guy so…
I heard that anus area is very sensitive so it should be touched smoothly, lightly.
My bath towel seems tough even if it’s cotton...
Any advice best object to clean his area?

maybe cat wet bath tissue???

Attachments

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Raiden had to wear a cone for about 3 weeks after his hernia repair only time it came off was during feeding time and as soon as he was done it went right back on ,

During those 3 weeks I brushed combed his fur on a daily he loved it ,I had to wipe his butt a few times XD he hated that though lol , and when I combed him I even did his neck and face with cone off during that but quickly the cone went back on ,other then that he did great besides one time getting out his cone and I had to rig it even the vet thought what I did was genius lol,

But because your kitty has an eye issue if you do groom his face avoid the eye area and be careful if you dont feel comfortable doing his face then don't or unless it gets dirty somehow

I hope that helped

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much ☺ for your advice. I agree with you taking it off and on gives him more stress.
when I see his eye is blinking with red eye or smaller eye for discomfort, I feel more sorry 😢 so I have to endure with him for 10 days…

Oh, already time to give him 2nd eye drop for 2:30 am…It’s every 12 hours…

He’s a very clean guy so…
I heard that anus area is very sensitive so it should be touched smoothly, lightly.
My bath towel seems tough even if it’s cotton...
Any advice best object to clean his area?

maybe cat wet bath tissue???
Awww how precious is he! Such a cutie.
Third eyelid showing so I'd recommend defo sticking to vets recommendation. With meds and protection through cone he'll be fine soon.

I wouldn't use a bath towel, but rather
- damp / wet paper towel
- soft cotton cloth (like handkerchiefs back in the day)
- cotton wool balls

The cat specific wet wipes could work but I personally don't like using them. It's hard to find unscented ones here. I did use them when one of mine was a baby (4weeks, abandoned, couldn't eliminate by himself). I then used just wet paper towel or tissue and it worked much better and he didn't hate the smell of them which is a plus.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Raiden had to wear a cone for about 3 weeks after his hernia repair only time it came off was during feeding time and as soon as he was done it went right back on ,

During those 3 weeks I brushed combed his fur on a daily he loved it ,I had to wipe his butt a few times XD he hated that though lol , and when I combed him I even did his neck and face with cone off during that but quickly the cone went back on ,other then that he did great besides one time getting out his cone and I had to rig it even the vet thought what I did was genius lol,

But because your kitty has an eye issue if you do groom his face avoid the eye area and be careful if you dont feel comfortable doing his face then don't or unless it gets dirty somehow

I hope that helped
Thank you so much for sharing your story and it definitely help me.
how did you clean his butt? My bath towel seems tough even if it’s cotton.
what material, what kind of stuff using for cleaning a butt?

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww how precious is he! Such a cutie.
Third eyelid showing so I'd recommend defo sticking to vets recommendation. With meds and protection through cone he'll be fine soon.

I wouldn't use a bath towel, but rather
- damp / wet paper towel
- soft cotton cloth (like handkerchiefs back in the day)
- cotton wool balls

The cat specific wet wipes could work but I personally don't like using them. It's hard to find unscented ones here. I did use them when one of mine was a baby (4weeks, abandoned, couldn't eliminate by himself). I then used just wet paper towel or tissue and it worked much better and he didn't hate the smell of them which is a plus.
I sincerely appreciate your helpful reply 👍🏼😘
I just decide not to take it off ( I wish to do for meal time but no…) and just trimmed a bit around mouth area of cone and he looks a bit comfortable. 🥰

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by trimmed?

For meals, you can help him eat by holding the bowl up / at an angle so he can he eat more easily.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing your story and it definitely help me.
how did you clean his butt? My bath towel seems tough even if it’s cotton.
what material, what kind of stuff using for cleaning a butt?
Since I didn't have cat wipes on hand I took really soft toilet paper and dampended it with water room temp water I didn't use soap and wiped his poo off and repeated if needed and if needed patted it dry with the same soft TP but not wettened ,

Excuse my spelling I'm tired and my brain forgets how to spell when I get tired XD

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by trimmed?

For meals, you can help him eat by holding the bowl up / at an angle so he can he eat more easily.
I trimmed his cone a little bit for comfortable angel of eating.Tiny cut helps.