How Do Your Cats React To Topical Flea Treatments?

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like everything, if you search online for any of the topical treatments you will find cats that had severe reactions to any of them. I have been using advantage II since I acquired my 3 cats solely because that's what the vet gave them at their first vet visits 2 years ago. I have never had any of the hair falling out or burns that I see frequently, but my cats reactions are very mixed.
Mister will sprint around the house for 5-10 minutes then be bribed with treats to be back to his normal loving self.
Oscar will just lay there and not be bothered at all by it.
Molly runs away and hides under a bed for hours, and won't even come out for treats.
Now I always use the medicine at bedtime because the next day everyone is perfectly fine and back to normal. Since I know what to expect, I plan to keep using the advantage II, unless their reactions get worse. Hopefully it's just the smell and I'm not causing them any pain.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, my cats have different reactions too. I use advantage multi that i get from the vet, and then profender a few times a year.

two of mine act like no big deal, they dont love it, but they dont act like it bothers them at all. One runs around a bit, and will not let me touch him or pick him up for a few hours. The last one he hates it with a passion, he acts like i am killing him, i dont know if maybe some cats have sensitive skin to these type of medications and it stings or burns a little? Or if my big guy is just into drama? But mine have never had any hair loss, anything that looks like a burn or redness in that area when i check them later that day and over the next few days. :dunno:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I used revolution. One cat didn't react, the other cat ran around the house and tried to scratch it but was then fine after a few minutes.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its the smell, the texture of their fur being wet and worse, it might make the fleas start biting more or running around on the cat. I usually try to flea comb my cats before putting advantage on them but right now advantage is not killing as well as it used to in KY.

I do have one cat who is allergic to just about every flea medicine including Advantage that I have tried. So he gets flea combed, dawn washed and DE powdered.

I even have used Advantage on my rabbit and he was fine with it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine slink around the house and avoid eye contact for a few days. They are angry. But they don't stop begging for food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since my cats are exclusively indoor cats I have considered not treating them to avoid the trauma, but once last summer the vet found flea dirt on one cat, so he suggested treating them during the warm months of the year.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used Revolution in the past on my 4. One of my cats develops feline hyperesthesia from it, so she never gets it. The rest had no reaction to it at all.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my cats are exclusively indoor cats I have considered not treating them to avoid the trauma, but once last summer the vet found flea dirt on one cat, so he suggested treating them during the warm months of the year.
I strongly advise you to treat them. I have a full infestation going on right now and its not an easy battle. Getting flea bit, having allergic cats and constant cleaning is a lot to deal with. :fear::gaah:

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats HATE it, but if I give them treats after they seem to forget about it after few minutes. I use Advantage as well.