How do your cats like to play?

marebear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a rainy day out, and Bruce (my cat) is beside himself with boredom, so I've gone the usual route and chased him all around the house until he flops on his back and demands belly rubs; this can last a good five chases which often leave us both breathless.  That is his preferred method of play. 

His second: chase around (and stalk like a ninja) his Neko Flies (he has three, but only one is still intact: the katarantula cat toy).  He will carry this "fly" around the house hoping someone with thumbs notices it and gives it a twirl (but he is observant enough to know that it's not challenging if that wielder is seated and watching TV, so he has choice words to tell that person for motivation).  He had a silly duck-on-a-string before, but it's more sentimental now -- he won't attack it, but he'll bring it to bed with him.

Third: plastic bags.  Loves hiding in them, attacking them, being carried around in them, and making them crinkle.  A bit of supervision required to make sure he doesn't smother himself or chew pieces off, and he's set.

And last but not least: playing outside in the yard.  He puffs out his little chest like hes the Lion King in tall grass.  Sadly, he got into the neighbours' yard for the second time this month, so all his frolics are at the end of a tether now.  Undignified for the King of the Yard, but necessary to keep his Royal Poops out of the kid-next-door's sandbox.

How do your cats prefer to play?

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Da Bird. They all love Da Bird. We have play time with Da Bird for about an hour or so, pretty much every night. On the rare nights that we don't play, we can find Mollipop outside the closet door in the hallway, meowing for playtime. It's rare that we don't play.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Abby loves Da Bird as well. :). She also likes it when we toss small balls and pompous at her.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli likes DaBird, but not as much as little toy mice, wand toys or balls. He has a definite preference for natural materials like leather, fur and feathers. He really loves it when his toys "hide" under Boogie Mats. What's funny is that he prefers his red Boogie Mat to the blue one, just like Jamie did. Ditto hot pink toys.

Two things he's not at all interested in are the Cat Dancer and catnip.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammy  has a game he has invented ,  it is a combination of Wand Toy Chase and Fetch.  He likes both of those on their own , too.   

but in The Sammy Game,   I am supposed to move a wand toy with furry thing  around like prey, while Sam lurks and stalks, and then he makes a dash for it  -- sometimes he catches it right away,   but if I'm quick enough it escapes him and I make it go round and round the room,   on the floor and in the air, and he runs round and round chasing it and leaping and finally catches it -- sometimes in a wild flying leap with a somersault   and often with such force he pulls the whole stick out of my hand.

But even if I still am holding the stick when he catches the toy, I am then supposed to let go,  because the next part is he does a victory lap strutting around the room with it,  then he fetches it back to me .  (   always to my right hand.  He is very ritualistic about it.) 

subvet642

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is adorable! Our Deli had a "Rosie the Rat" like that, she'd carry it around like child would a doll.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alone- they love to play in boxes and bags. Together they chase each other throughout the apartment till one chases the other right  into  the carrier.and gives up for awhile.