How do you wash your dishes?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I came across this article a few days ago about how dish soap is not being used properly these days so Dawn is coming out with a new, more expensive soap. Marketing ploy? I think so.

Dawn dish soap says you’re washing your dishes wrong

I am one of those "newer" type dish washers that washes as I go and I rarely fill the sink up with water. I do have a dishwasher, which I use all the time but some times it's easier just to wash a few things while I am washing others.

Do you wash as you go or do you wait and wash a pile of dishes at once?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I rinse all the dishes off well (the thought of having dishes sit for days in a dishwasher with food stuck to them makes me queasy, not to mention the fact that the residue will just collect at the bottom of the dishwasher...blech), then put them in the dishwasher. We run that cycle on hot with a steam sanitize cycle and then let them air dry overnight. We hand wash our pots, pans, certain utensils, etc.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait...I just read the article. I'm confused.

"More consumers are washing one or two dishes during "cooking downtime," instead of letting them pile up and doing one big wash once they're all done, according to P&G. The company says the old Dawn wasn't intended to be used that way. Traditional dish soap is designed to combine with water and create suds to help get dishes clean, not to directly apply to dirty dishes or sponges."

But...you do combine it with water? Who squirts Dawn on a DRY sponge/wash rag and then applies it to a DRY dish? You make the rag nice and sudsy and run water over the dishes.

What a gimmick. The "new" product is just Dawn with water in a spray bottle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
But...you do combine it with water? Who squirts Dawn on a DRY sponge/wash rag and then applies it to a DRY dish? You make the rag nice and sudsy and run water over the dishes.
Agreed. Wouldn't the new stuff leave a residue also?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - marketing ploy.

I've always been a "wash as I go" cook. Though - most of the dishes do go in the dishwasher now. I do wash any 'delicates' or pot and pans by hand.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it's just watered-down regular detergent. Which is great, sell the spray bottle if it's nicer than a generic spray bottle, but let's not pretend it's a magical new product.

I do let dishes soak for a while before washing, but not in a full sink of water (I CAN'T make myself stick my hand in a sink full of disgusting cold soak water, even just to pull the plug), I just fill the dish itself with water and let it sit. Because dried-on cat food is hard to remove if it doesn't soak.

When I wash them, I get the sponge wet and then put a glob of dish soap on it and squeeze to make suds, then scrub the dish and rinse. I think that's pretty standard!

I really need to get a new dishwasher.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We took one of those foaming hand soap bottles and filled it with dawn and a little water for washing as we go. The pump top makes it easy to squirt it on a dish or whatever. Either way; more water gets added. What a gimmick!

I only hand wash pots and pans or baking dishes. Sometimes leftover containers. I do fill the sink if I have enough. I’m not sure where people get down time in the middle of cooking. I don’t have that. :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a dishwasher (unless you count myself ;) ) so I wash by hand. I never feel like my silverware is being cleaned well enough so I will periodically put them all in a glass with soap and pour boiling water in the glass so they are being sanitized. I also let them pile up, unless I just did a lot of cooking and used a lot of dishes, then I'll wash them right away or I'll let things soak for awhile. I used to fill up the sink and wash them, but now I just put soap on the sponge and wash and rinse as I go.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I am one of those "newer" type dish washers that washes as I go and I rarely fill the sink up with water. I do have a dishwasher, which I use all the time but some times it's easier just to wash a few things while I am washing others.

Do you wash as you go or do you wait and wash a pile of dishes at once?
Me, too. I never fill up the sink with water. I wash as I go when I have a few items and use the dishwasher, too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume what they mean by not having to use water is that the spray has enough water to wet the sponge itself.

I had friends when I was a kid who I suspect didn't rinse their dishes. Or at least not well enough, because everything tasted like soap 🤢. And even if a soap were OK to ingest and didn't have a bad taste, there's still all the stuff you scrubbed off the dish, of course it needs to be rinsed. I'm pretty sure they don't mean not to rinse it.