How Do You Train Cat To Walk On A Leash???

naquack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently took my cat out for a walk on a leash and he seems to be doing alright but once he gets distracted he turns around and walks back and stuff. I feel like I'm sometimes walking in a circle since he cant make up his mind too much. If you have any tips on keep a cat focused let me know. Right now my kitty is able to walk with a lease a few feet before he gets interested in a Bush. I cant upload a video but he walks better than most cats apparently.
Screenshot_20180918-195812_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180918-195810_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180918-195801_Gallery.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I allow my cat to completely explore an area and let him move on at his own pace. Your boy is beautiful and looks comfortable on the leash. My Maine Coon understands "reining" - I lightly toss the lead, just like starting a horse in harness; I use light pressure to turn him (similar to neck reining a horse). I hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naquack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How often do you reccomend I walk my cat so that he will always be comfortable walking on a leash? My kitty boi totally does not know what to do when I try to nudge him. I'm also wary of dogs as well.
Screenshot_20180918-202928_Gallery.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if he is an inside only, I would aim for daily walks. also, you can picket him out in the yard & stay in a chair next to him and use your tablet or read. For longer adventures, I recommend either getting a kitty stroller or attaching a cat carrier to the frame of a baby stroller, especially if dogs are an issue. Dogs dont seem to know how to interpret the stroller - just make sure that the carrier is sturdy & attached very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naquack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is mostly an outdoor cat since he is used to farm life. Lol I'll debate the stroller idea