How do you tell fur length at 12 weeks?

nickyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi team! I've read in quite a few places that you can tell kittens fur length when they're 12 weeks... now I have a 12 week old and its not obvious to me 😂 can you give me tips?
He is silver tabby, has silky fur that looks thick (because its puffy), but is not thick when you stroke it. Ancestry is ragdoll and persian. Based on his tufty feet and long ear hair, I think he should have medium or long hair, but right now he has long guard hairs and reasonably short light inner coat... he always had long dark tipped guardhairs, mostly on his back, but now has more, and is growing light coloured guard hairs as well, mostly on his legs.
I read some other posts here that said the guard hairs will go away, but they are getting more, not less 🤔 are they the early hairs of the adult cat instead of guard hairs? My adult cat of unknown breed has guard hairs still, maybe the kitten will be like that?
I posted a question about the colour earlier and someone said will be long hair, but was waiting till the magic 12 weeks for it to become obvious (lols! Not to me!)
20211218_113153.jpg
20211218_115857.jpg
20211218_114715.jpg
20211218_112759.jpg
20211218_113153.jpg 20211218_115857.jpg 20211218_114715.jpg 20211218_112759.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nickyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps sorry about the double photos!

nickyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A proper in focus shot where I'm not trying to capture his guard hairs!

Attachments

nickyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple more... a lying down shot, you can see his dark guard hairs on his back, and one tufty back foot. And a prepounce shot, with the his medium hair (but long mane and tail 😂) big brother.

Attachments

nickyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, our big boy cat (8kg!) Has a massive fluffy tail (and mane but you cant see it in the photo), and tufty toes, but his main body is medium hair I think, thick and fluffy but not very long. Thats the bit where I get confused about how do you tell the difference between long and medium in a kitten 🤔 (or maybe the big bro is really long hair and I dont know the difference properly 🤔)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat fancier organizations only recognize long- and short-haired cats. Many individuals and shelters refer to cats as being medium-haired as well. It remains for the individual to decide what constitutes a medium-haired cat I guess.

I think your little guy could be considered as having medium-length hair. I have one with hair like him. I always say she's long-haired, but to the average Joe, she'd be medium-haired.

nickyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat fancier organizations only recognize long- and short-haired cats. Many individuals and shelters refer to cats as being medium-haired as well. It remains for the individual to decide what constitutes a medium-haired cat I guess.

I think your little guy could be considered as having medium-length hair. I have one with hair like him. I always say she's long-haired, but to the average Joe, she'd be medium-haired.
Thanks! I didn't know it wasn't 'real' .. so.. i'll have 2 long haired furries 😁 hope the baby's fur is as easy to look after as the big boy 😊

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi team! I've read in quite a few places that you can tell kittens fur length when they're 12 weeks... now I have a 12 week old and its not obvious to me 😂 can you give me tips?
He is silver tabby, has silky fur that looks thick (because its puffy), but is not thick when you stroke it. Ancestry is ragdoll and persian. Based on his tufty feet and long ear hair, I think he should have medium or long hair, but right now he has long guard hairs and reasonably short light inner coat... he always had long dark tipped guardhairs, mostly on his back, but now has more, and is growing light coloured guard hairs as well, mostly on his legs.
I read some other posts here that said the guard hairs will go away, but they are getting more, not less 🤔 are they the early hairs of the adult cat instead of guard hairs? My adult cat of unknown breed has guard hairs still, maybe the kitten will be like that?
I posted a question about the colour earlier and someone said will be long hair, but was waiting till the magic 12 weeks for it to become obvious (lols! Not to me!)View attachment 404611View attachment 404612View attachment 404613View attachment 404614View attachment 404611View attachment 404612View attachment 404613View attachment 404614
Beautiful baby and he is a long hair for sure. He looks a bit traditional Persian. Many longhair cats don’t get their full fluff until 1-2 years and some shed a lot in spring. They are not all the same.