How Do You Mix Your Eggshell Into Your Mix?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m using eggshell instead of bone and I’m getting pretty annoyed with trying to get it to nicely mix with the other ingredients. If I mix it with the slurry I get a bunch of it left over in the slurry bowl when I pour it in with the meat. For some reason the powder loves to stick to my stainless steel bowl. If I add it on top of the meat mix it doesn’t seem to distribute properly. I’m frustrated! :argh:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that problem with my supplement mix. I try to get most of it onto the meat by using some clean meat to wipe the supplement off. And I use a little water at a time to swirl the supplement onto the meat mix.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't use egg shell as a stand alone, but it is in the Alnutrin mix. I don't have any issues with sticking. Maybe the Alnutrin egg shell is finer ground, I don't know.

Can you mix it in some water first? Or mix in all the supplements that you are adding, including the egg shell, into whatever additional water (if any) or into the meat juices you are adding and then pour it into the meat? I think that would distribute it with enough water/liquid to keep it from sticking. But it sounds like you may be making a pretty dry mix. I do add a little bit extra water.

The Alnutrin doesn't completely dissolve in water either but it mixes into the turkey just fine. I mix well, fill about 1/2 a dozen spots in an ice cube tray and then mix again to make sure the supplements and liquid is evenly distributed in the meat before filling the tray some more.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was mixing the eggshell with the slurry and having the same problem. Now I pour the slurry without the eggshell into the meat, mix well, then sprinkle a small amount of the eggshell on top, mix well, sprinkle more, mix, and so on. It’s a slow process, but it seems to be distributing equally.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use egg shell as a stand alone, but it is in the Alnutrin mix. I don't have any issues with sticking. Maybe the Alnutrin egg shell is finer ground, I don't know.

Can you mix it in some water first? Or mix in all the supplements that you are adding, including the egg shell, into whatever additional water (if any) or into the meat juices you are adding and then pour it into the meat? I think that would distribute it with enough water/liquid to keep it from sticking. But it sounds like you may be making a pretty dry mix. I do add a little bit extra water.

The Alnutrin doesn't completely dissolve in water either but it mixes into the turkey just fine. I mix well, fill about 1/2 a dozen spots in an ice cube tray and then mix again to make sure the supplements and liquid is evenly distributed in the meat before filling the tray some more.
I tried adding extra water when it got stuck to the bowl but it didn’t help much. The eggshell powder doesn’t seem to immerse itself in the water and likes to stick to the bowl. I ended up spooning most of it out with a spatula but there was some that I just couldn’t get and now I’m worried there’s not enough eggshell in my mix. :(
It couldn’t have been more than a gram of eggshell left in the bowl though and my mix was already at 1.3:1 so I think I should still be in the safe range, but I always worry when things don’t go perfectly.

I was mixing the eggshell with the slurry and having the same problem. Now I pour the slurry without the eggshell into the meat, mix well, then sprinkle a small amount of the eggshell on top, mix well, sprinkle more, mix, and so on. It’s a slow process, but it seems to be distributing equally.
I think I’m going to do that from now on. At least that way you know that all the eggshell is getting mixed in.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I think I’m going to do that from now on. At least that way you know that all the eggshell is getting mixed in.
Eggshell, even finely ground, is deceptively heavy. There was just too much left in the slurry bowl for my comfort, even after I tried to scrape it out. And I found that it didn’t distribute as well throughout the meat when I included it with the slurry.

I also discovered after spending $100+ on a plumber that putting eggshell in the garbage disposal is a bad idea. :) If your drain has any horizontal run, the eggshell will just sink to the bottom and eventually clog the drain.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Eggshell, even finely ground, is deceptively heavy. There was just too much left in the slurry bowl for my comfort, even after I tried to scrape it out. And I found that it didn’t distribute as well throughout the meat when I included it with the slurry.

I also discovered after spending $100+ on a plumber that putting eggshell in the garbage disposal is a bad idea. :) If your drain has any horizontal run, the eggshell will just sink to the bottom and eventually clog the drain.
Oh no!! I totally put some down my sink. :doh:

Yikes, thanks for the heads up. I won’t be doing that anymore.

Do you think my batch is okay this time if I lost a little eggshell? I don’t think it was enough to put the ratio below 0.9:1.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh no!! I totally put some down my sink. :doh:

Yikes, thanks for the heads up. I won’t be doing that anymore.

Do you think my batch is okay this time if I lost a little eggshell? I don’t think it was enough to put the ratio below 0.9:1.
I’ve made batches where after I finished I thought, “Oh, shoot. Was I off on one of my measurements?” But I rotate batches for each meal so I feel over time they’re getting a balanced diet.

I’ve also stopped putting coffee grounds down the disposal even though the plumber didn’t say anything about those. He’s a nice guy, but I’m just as happy not to see him in my kitchen. :)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve made batches where after I finished I thought, “Oh, shoot. Was I off on one of my measurements?” But I rotate batches for each meal so I feel over time they’re getting a balanced diet.

I’ve also stopped putting coffee grounds down the disposal even though the plumber didn’t say anything about those. He’s a nice guy, but I’m just as happy not to see him in my kitchen. :)
Good point. They do also eat one canned meal a day while we are at work so hopefully that balances it out. All I know is I’m never putting eggshell in my slurry again!

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting.

Now I'm curious as to how Alnutrin manages to include the egg shell calcium in a form that doesn't stick. As I mentioned, the Alnutrin doesn't dissolve all the way in liquid but it doesn't get clumpy or sticky either. At least that hasn't been my experience with it. But in my youth I remember using a protein supplement that was 100% egg protein and I remember that being sticky and clumpy and having to use a blender to get it to mix up in juice or a shake. Mixing with a spoon didn't cut it. I think I can imagine what y'all are referring to now assuming the egg shell acts the same way.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Thank you for the tip: I put eggshells down the disposal, too. I learned the hard way about cabbage (oops) and we stopped putting coffee grounds down the disposal a while ago because something got a little clogged up somewhere.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh no! Thank you for the tip: I put eggshells down the disposal, too. I learned the hard way about cabbage (oops) and we stopped putting coffee grounds down the disposal a while ago because something got a little clogged up somewhere.
Cabbage?? All righty, then. No more cabbage down the disposal! :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cabbage?? All righty, then. No more cabbage down the disposal! :)
I had no idea and put down a fair bit, which really stopped things up! (My husband made sure to show me the clog... it looked like the disposal had chopped the cabbage to just the right size for soaking up water and cohering.)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no idea and put down a fair bit, which really stopped things up! (My husband made sure to show me the clog... it looked like the disposal had chopped the cabbage to just the right size for soaking up water and cohering.)
Hmm, my husband remembers this differently: he says I put some sort of defective cole slaw down the disposal, not regular cabbage waste. I suppose he is better disposed (;)) to remember, given that he did the work digging the stuff out of the pipes, though I really thought it was just unusable outer cabbage leaves. Either way, I don't recommend putting cabbage down the disposal! :D

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory

Question for you - I recall reading in a different thread that you feed rabbit sometimes. When you make rabbit mixes do you use bone-in? So do you do both bone-in and eggshell mixes depending on the protein you're using? Just wondering because I'm thinking of adding rabbit to my mix but I don't use any bone and want to make sure it's okay to give a bone-in mix once in a while.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory

Question for you - I recall reading in a different thread that you feed rabbit sometimes. When you make rabbit mixes do you use bone-in? So do you do both bone-in and eggshell mixes depending on the protein you're using? Just wondering because I'm thinking of adding rabbit to my mix but I don't use any bone and want to make sure it's okay to give a bone-in mix once in a while.
It’s boneless. I don’t do anything with bone any more because my two 15-year-olds struggle with constipation. I found a small butcher shop in town that carries ground rabbit, frozen in one-pound packages. Their source is a family farm a couple of hours from here. I grind my own meat and don’t like buying pre-ground, but this is extremely fresh and I’ve never had any problem with it.

I rarely buy it any more, though, because while the girls will eat it, they aren’t very enthusiastic about it. And since it’s $14.50 a pound, I figure I’ll give them the stuff they really love that’s $2.49 and $4.99 a pound. :)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It’s boneless. I don’t do anything with bone any more because my two 15-year-olds struggle with constipation. I found a small butcher shop in town that carries fresh ground rabbit, frozen in one-pound packages. Their source is a family farm a couple of hours from here. I grind my own meat and don’t like buying pre-ground, but this is extremely fresh and I’ve never had any problem with it.

I rarely buy it any more, though, because while the girls will eat it, they aren’t very enthusiastic about it. And since it’s $14.50 a pound, I figure I’ll give them the stuff they really love that’s $2.49 and $4.99 a pound. :)
Ah, okay. Wow that's lucky. Finding local bone-less pre-ground rabbit is really hard in my experience! I don't really want to include bone either since we had a bit of a scare with one of our cats last year who had elevated phosphorus levels (she's back to normal now), but I'm trying to add another protein into their homemade raw. I did find one local butcher who will sell me a whole rabbit carcass.. and I could separate the meat from the bones myself and grind it... but... I really really don't want to do that.. the thought of handling a rabbit carcass actually makes me want to cry. :frown:

They do get some lamb and venison from their once daily small canned meal so maybe that's enough variety for them anyway. I'm just starting to wonder if I should be giving them more types of raw protein besides just turkey and chicken.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you checked out local farmers’ markets? I’ve seen locally sourced meats at our market here, although I’d want research them before I bought anything from them. (Unless it was for me and then I wouldn’t be as cautious. :))

I just googled rabbit farms in Oregon and several sites popped up, including the one that provided the ground rabbit I bought. I wouldn’t willingly disassemble a rabbit carcass either. I would have made a rotten pioneer.

I was rotating chicken and turkey, but I added pork a few months ago. I know the arguments about pigs not being a cat’s typical prey, but Iris is willing to eat it (the other two will eat anything) and like you, I wanted to get a bit more variety in their diet.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked out local farmers’ markets? I’ve seen locally sourced meats at our market here, although I’d want research them before I bought anything from them. (Unless it was for me and then I wouldn’t be as cautious. :))

I just googled rabbit farms in Oregon and several sites popped up, including the one that provided the ground rabbit I bought. I wouldn’t willingly disassemble a rabbit carcass either. I would have made a rotten pioneer.

I was rotating chicken and turkey, but I added pork a few months ago. I know the arguments about pigs not being a cat’s typical prey, but Iris is willing to eat it (the other two will eat anything) and like you, I wanted to get a bit more variety in their diet.
I hadn’t thought of checking farmer’s markets, I’ll look into it, thanks! So far all the butchers I’ve talked to only sell whole carcass, some with organs and some without.

Pork might work too. I was thinking of rabbit because Dr. P recommends sticking to white meats, but they’re eating venison and lamb in their canned food too. :dunno:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory and others who use eggshell... how do you store it? I buy mine pre-made because I’m too lazy to make it myself and I store the jar in the cupboard. Should I be putting it in the fridge instead?