How do you make your spaghetti?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a plain sauce as a base, then add half a can of diced tomatoes (or better yet, a bunch of chopped up fresh tomatoes), mushrooms, two or three different kinds of sweet pepper, zucchini, occasionally broccoli or cauliflower, a whole lotta garlic
, chopped onions, and ground meat of some sort (usually chicken). I also toss in a lot of herbs and spices: oregano, coriander, basil, parsley, chili flakes, thyme, pepper, more garlic powder (you have to like garlic to enjoy my cooking), some onion powder, and cinnamon (the cinnamon cuts down on the acidity from the tomatoes), and then top it off with a whole lot of cheese. This makes enough for about eight servings, so it gives my boyfriend and I dinner for one night, and then several lunches afterwards.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually make a red sauce, with ground beef, Italian sausage and LOTS of spices. On occasion, I sautee shrimp with garlic and spices, dump in a jar of Ragu Roasted Garlic & Parmesan sauce, simmer for about 15 minutes and pig out.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love marinara sauce and don't believe in the old school view that it has to cook forever. I make mine with fresh tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic, olive oil, a couple of bay leaves, S&P, and tomato paste. It only cooks for 45 minutes and is delish!

I'm not above using jarred sauce when tomatoes are expensive though. I like Classico & Barilla.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Italian sausage! So I like to brown some, reserve the grease, dice up some plum tomatoes, garlic, fresh herbs, and let them simmer until the grease infuses into everything and makes it all yummy! then add a little fresh parmesan or romano and voila! Heaven on a plate!

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like my spaghetti uncomlicated. I boil water with a few shakes of salt, toss the spaghetti in and cook until done. Drain, pour a jar of sauce (Prego, any variety except with mushrooms or peppers) on it, stir, heat a couple minutes, and serve! Ready to go in less than 20 minutes! I usually sprinkle parmesan cheese (the kind from a can! Kraft.) on top, and eat with bread and butter, or, if I'm very ambitious, garlic breadsticks (also from a can, Pilsbury).

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

You get rid of the acid by simmering it for about 30 mins to an hour with half a teaspoon of sugar per can of tomato sauce
Excellent tip!

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We start with glazing the onions and garlic then slowly add the rest. Herbs, meatballs, sausage, tomato sauce, tomato paste and red wine. We make a huge batch then pack it into freezer bags and freeze it.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im not original compared to anything anyone here has said...if I have tomatoes from my friends mother, I do garlic, onion, and olive oil in a pan for a few minutes. Then I add tomatoes, red wine, and spices, and cook until done. If I do not have those Italian grandmother tomatoes, I open a jar of sauce, add cooked meat to it and voila.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, absolutely no meat here, but I use my Nonnie's recipe with some finely chopped veggies to thicken it up a little bit and put that over my spaghetti.

I also like making a lemon-herb sauce and dicing up fresh aspargus and fresh tomatoes and tossing it all together.

Sometimes, if I'm ina big hurry I'll heat up come jarred sauce (Giannotti's is a local restaurant that sells jars of sauce and that's as processed as I'll get) and just add it to some steamed veggies and the pasta.

The family I babysit for often uses Prego...
IMO, easily the most nasty sauce EVER!

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most times I just make some noodles and top with Prego sauce. Meatballs I add yummy cheese and parsley and other herbs and spices.

Every once in a while I make my grandmother's spaghetti sauce and it's soooo good...ugh, now I have a taste for it!