How Do You Keep Photos Of Your Cat Organized? I Have Too Many!

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I take pictures of my cat like a parent with their first child.

I have thousands and thousands of pictures just from almost the first year with my cat. I’m going through them trying to kind of bring them down to a more reasonable number since some of the pictures are of the same moment but just slightly different angles or poses...but if any of you have any pointers for how to keep them organized I’d like to know! Does anyone else have This problem? Should I just embrace this and keep them all?

Also a Sarah Andersen comic perfectly describing what I’m dealing with:
Google Image Result for https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/389/140/1d8.jpg

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have the same problem (only worse since I have 15 pets!), which is why I bought the biggest hard drive for my pc and memory card for my phone that I could afford, lol. When I take pics I find it easiest to delete as I go. Take several photos then pick the one or two that I like and delete the none perfect ones that same day. If I wait it becomes too overwhelming to try to go back over a few days worth so I don't end up deleting any.

It can be fun going back later though and seeing all the photos, not just the "right" ones, the mess ups often tell a story of what lead to and sometimes after the pic you wanted. A photo captures a single second, but a series can capture a whole moment in time (like a cat walking towards you or waking up).

Other then that, on my phone at least it automatically sorts my photos by month, which does make it easier to find a photo later if I remember around when it was taken. My pc just has them listed by date taken, I might have to start organizing them by month.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, that's hilarious, and PERFECT

I'm in the same boat, except mine's worse because I have several other types of subject matter all mixed in, and I was usually in too much of a hurry and just let the software upload and sort by date. Leaving photos grouped by date doesn't work after too much time has passed and then a search for a specific picture just ends up being a really frustrating exercise in futility.

It wasn't all that much of an issue for me while stoopid google left their terrific little photo management/editor for non-professionals --Picasa alive because my favorite photos were easy to find in it. When that was forced away, I was left with a Very. Large. Problem.

I've started to deal with it by grouping by subject first and then within subject, by date, but yeah, in many situations I do try to go through and eliminate all but the best of the best.

mightyboosh mightyboosh you're an expert in this, how do you manage your pictures? @Shane Kent, how does Karen manage her photos?

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a program like Lightroom - it's made by adobe. It can automatically group the photos by day-month-year. Then you can tag the photos. I usually tag them with "cat", the cat's name, and then if there is something specific like "play" or "hiding" or something, so I can filter.

Beyond that, they are a jumble though, lol.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mightyboosh mightyboosh you an expert in this, how do you manage your pictures?
I have a free programme called Leawo itransfer which is a photo and video manager. I don't know if it's better than the others but I've got used to it now. What is more important I think is the following.
Typically I'll take photos on my phone and then be quite ruthless about binning some. I find that thinking about them too much results in keeping them all so I decide fairly quickly, in a few seconds. You know, as mentioned above about several shots being almost the same, I just pick the best one or two then delete. It's more of a gut feeling as I think we all recognise a good one when we see it without having a conference in our minds about it.
I then download what is left to Leawo.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I take pictures of my cat like a parent with their first child.

I have thousands and thousands of pictures just from almost the first year with my cat. I’m going through them trying to kind of bring them down to a more reasonable number since some of the pictures are of the same moment but just slightly different angles or poses...but if any of you have any pointers for how to keep them organized I’d like to know! Does anyone else have This problem? Should I just embrace this and keep them all?

Also a Sarah Andersen comic perfectly describing what I’m dealing with:
Google Image Result for https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/389/140/1d8.jpg
:hithere: Excellent idea for a thread. Scott & I take pics with our android phones. The ones I want to upload I e-mail to myself, get on my chromebook, open the e-mail and download to a file I've created, I usually just date the file the day I load from the e-mail. I need to create files with different subject matter and sort into them. I also need to load everything to a flash drive but not all brands work with the chromebooks.:camera: :catrub: