How Do You Keep Cats Off Your Counters?

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our house is pretty 'cat proof'. It's very uncluttered and there are very few decorations that the cats can reach. My kitten however has broken a plate, a picture frame, and almost one other item just today. I don't think I can 'cat proof' my house any further! How do I keep him off things such as the kitchen counters? Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So he's still pretty young. When he gets on the counter, is he looking for food. Or just playing/investigating.

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So he's still pretty young. When he gets on the counter, is he looking for food. Or just playing/investigating.
I think both! Lol He likes to jump up on everything to investigate, however, he definitely likes the occasional treat!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CE08B737-60ED-48D8-BB9F-BDED596FD253.jpeg
I don’t. At 15 years, Krista isn’t going to change her ways. She’s my furry Feng Shui consultant. If she knocks something off, she didn’t like its energy. I find it a new home. If she gets into trouble, I learn to not leave trouble out for her. If I don’t do the dishes, she will. I may be the cat dad. But she’s the master and I am her student.
:purr:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think both! Lol He likes to jump up on everything to investigate, however, he definitely likes the occasional treat!
To try to discourage him, keep food off the counter, or in containers. Not easy, I know. And say "no" and take him down when he gets on the counter. Also say "no" when you see him about to jump up. And hopefully he'll eventually get out of the habit.

When you do have food on the counter, you may have to put the kitten in another room and close the door. Especially if there's a chance of him getting on the stove.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I g got cheap plastic place mats at the dollar store and covered them with double sided tape. Put them in all the counter. It seems to be working.

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To try to discourage him, keep food off the counter, or in containers. Not easy, I know. And say "no" and take him down when he gets on the counter. Also say "no" when you see him about to jump up. And hopefully he'll eventually get out of the habit.

When you do have food on the counter, you may have to put the kitten in another room and close the door. Especially if there's a chance of him getting on the stove.
Great ideas! Thank you!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck lol. The advice for cats off counters is to cover them with a bunch of stuff cats dislike that may or may not work or keep a constant eye and correct nonstop. I just accept that cats like high places and clean my counters frequently while not leaving breakables on them.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail: Mine views the counters as a short cut! I eventually gave up and just hurry him along. So now he runs across the counters! :rolleyes: He even has a step ladder (used to be my couch now it’s my bed.) He knows across the cabinet is food. I even tried a squirt gun a few times & have him a high place to be. He still does it!!! Prompting me to buy the world’s most expensive cat proof drainer.... an automatic dish dryer!
8F9CE541-6DFD-4085-BA1D-6C6E44E0DFCE.jpeg

Try sticky tape. It is what I am trying next. Twerp .... he is lucky I love him!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix started going on the counter/kitchen table when I started feeding him close to there. I moved his food stuff into the basement, removing his reason for checking the table and counter for food. If there isn't anything incising, he has no reason to check it out... unless he gets curious or just wants to break rules.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's still a baby. Think tween/teenager. They are big enough to get into a lot of trouble at that age. You might want to try a squirt bottle to squirt him when he jumps up on the counters. And put away breakables.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After having six different cats over a few decades, here is my methodology:

(1) put on floor x several hundred times. Whacking the table, clapping or snapping can work too, if you use those noises to express displeasure;

(2) some cats stop (yay!), some dont. If cat doesn't stop, shrug. Oh well!

(3) if you feel like it, continue removing cat with no expectation of the behavior changing and sometimes it will, eventually. Just don't get too invested in it;

If there is a particular area that you feel the need to be really serious about, try getting more stern, and really clapping loudly or whacking the table before proceeding to remove the cat if still needed.

The double sided tape idea sounds like a great idea if its really bothering you and you emotionally *need* results. Like many others, I've gotten over it, and can't be bothered, but I remember when we were super serious about it and completely get why some might start taping up their counters.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's still a baby. Think tween/teenager. They are big enough to get into a lot of trouble at that age. You might want to try a squirt bottle to squirt him when he jumps up on the counters. And put away breakables.
I don't recommend the squirt bottle. Many cats don't make the connection between jumping on the counter and getting squirted. If you want to use something like that, you could try Ssscat (the motion detection air spray can.) But unless they can see the can, they'll likely keep testing it because that's what cats do. The other reason I don't recommend the squirt bottle is that many cats are clever enough to work out that if you aren't there to see them or squirt them, they'll go on the counter when you aren't there. Even the sticky tape needs to be constantly reapplied because cats will test it over and over again. It's a rare cat that learns, "unpleasant this time means unpleasant next time too."

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo has always stayed off the counters, but Lily would do it again and again. I finally bought Ssscat, and it's been a big success. I've had to move it around to wherever her favorite spot was, but it works. It's even gotten her to stop scratching an armchair (there are plenty of scratchers around). I highly recommend it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put the dishwashing tub & extra drainer onto my stove top to keep my twerp from jumping up on my gas range & turning the knobs. (I rarely use it.) Note his high kitchen perch that he loves but nothing beats the counter shortcut from the living room to the kitchen.

DDEBF5CA-43E8-45FA-939C-A7325E3B80DF.jpeg
Which prompted me to pay $90 for an automatic dish dryer to keep his fuzzy but from getting in with my clean dishes or brushing up against them! He is still a teen, I keep hoping he will learn!
2B4F9710-EE54-4E5D-8034-D0D7A55EAB0D.jpeg