How Do You Introduce Your New Kitten To An Already Existing Pet

EmmyMartin234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon. My name is Emily Martin. I will be getting my first kitten in a couple of weeks. I already have a five year old dog named Daisy. Daisy is a combination of a Poodle, Maltese, and Shitsue. Daisy is not a very social dog. Meaning she barks at anyone and anything. Not to say that she is a mean, vicious, or truly dangerous in anyway. Daisy is very protective and terrorial of me. So my question is what are steps/process of introducing the new kitten and Daisy to each other? How do I make sure that they have a good relationship? And by good, I don't mean they have to be best friends. I obviously just don't want them at each other's throats. Thank you all in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmyMartin234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon. My name is Emily Martin. I will be getting a my first kitten in a month. I already have a female dog. Daisy is a mix between a Maltese, Poodle, and Shitshoe. I was wondering, for getting along purposes between the two animals, if it is better to get a male kitten or a female kitten, or if it does not make a difference. Thank you all in advance for your comments.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say temperament is more important than the sex of the kitten. I think kittens tend to be more adaptable than cats, so that should work in your favor. A lot of shelters use foster care for kittens and some foster homes have dogs. Perhaps a situation where you know the kitten has already been exposed to dogs would be good. Your dog sounds smaller which may also help. I had a neighbor with a chihuahua and both my cats (adult at the time) didn't have any problems with him.

EmmyMartin234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say temperament is more important than the sex of the kitten. I think kittens tend to be more adaptable than cats, so that should work in your favor. A lot of shelters use foster care for kittens and some foster homes have dogs. Perhaps a situation where you know the kitten has already been exposed to dogs would be good. Your dog sounds smaller which may also help. I had a neighbor with a chihuahua and both my cats (adult at the time) didn't have any problems with him.
Daisy is really small. Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate your time. (That's Daisy in the photos)

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that gender is not as important as the kitten's personality and temperament. But please keep in mind that a kitten can be a handful so be prepared for all their playful antics. :biggrin: How old is Daisy? This is helpful in determining what would be best for her. We adopted a full grown young cat with our last dog who was a German Shepherd. Even though he was a gentle soul we wanted to be sure he would get along with the cat. We took the introductions slowly and fortunately had no problems. In fact, they became the best of friends which is what I hope happens with Daisy and your future kitty. TCS has an Article that discusses how to safely introduce a cat and dog that may have some helpful information and advice for you:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog - TheCatSite

BTW, Daisy is adorable. :hearthrob: Best of luck with your new kitty, please keep us posted.

Last edited:

EmmyMartin234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that gender is not as important as the kitten's personality and temperament. A kitten or young cat would both be okay. We brought in a full grown young cat with our last dog who was a German Shepherd. Even though he was a gentle soul we knew nothing about the cat's personality since she was an owner surrender to the shelter. We took the introductions slowly and fortunately had no problems. In fact, they became the best of friends which is what I hope happens with Daisy and your future kitty. TCS has an Article that discusses how to safely introduce a cat and dog that may have some helpful information and advice for you:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog - TheCatSite

BTW, Daisy is adorable. :hearthrob: Best of luck with your new kitty, please keep us posted.
Aw thank you so much. I for sure will keep you all posted. Now I just have to decide on the name for the little kitten.

If I get a female my top choices are
- Mona
- Meadow
- Poppy
- Stormy
- Iris (really really like)
- Trixie
- LuLu

If I get a male my top choices are
- Sammy
- Frankie
- Casper