How Do You Guys Cut The Soft-gel In Fish Oil?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't really have a setup currently, and it certainly takes the most of my time in the preparation.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't really have a setup currently, and it certainly takes the most of my time in the preparation.
When I give my dogs fish oil caps I just use a needle to poke a hole in the end and squeeze it out.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same. Poke a hole in it with a knife and squeeze the oil out.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poke a hole with a needle (a sewing one with the round end) and use the needle as a stopper if I don't need the whole gel.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Per catinfo.org you can also leave the fish oil in warm water for 15 minutes. Once they are somewhat dissoved you can squeeze the capsules. She also says it's fine to leave the gelatin capsules in the mixture since it's a protein.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, poke hole in the end with a needle (sewing needle, etc. I use lancets, the same ones diabetic people use) or tip of a sharp paring knife, then squeeze out the oil. You may need to poke two holes if the oil won't come out of one.

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started using the Nordic Naturals brand with a dropper to give a daily dose rather than mixing into batches. Works great.
Omega-3 Pet

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started using the Nordic Naturals brand with a dropper to give a daily dose rather than mixing into batches. Works great.
Omega-3 Pet
From the Feline Nutrition recipe,

“Wild Salmon Oil or Wild Caught Small Fish Oil – Some cats don't like the taste of salmon oil. Get capsules, not a liquid in a bottle. Once opened, the liquid can go rancid quickly. It's okay to drop the whole capsule into the grinder, the gelatin capsule is edible.
© 2018 Feline Nutrition Foundation
Read more at Recipe: Feline Nutrition's Easy Raw Cat Food

I guess it depends on how well you store it and how quickly you go through the bottle. Personally, I’d rather stab a capsule than worry about rancid oil.

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From the Feline Nutrition recipe,

“Wild Salmon Oil or Wild Caught Small Fish Oil – Some cats don't like the taste of salmon oil. Get capsules, not a liquid in a bottle. Once opened, the liquid can go rancid quickly. It's okay to drop the whole capsule into the grinder, the gelatin capsule is edible.
© 2018 Feline Nutrition Foundation
Read more at Recipe: Feline Nutrition's Easy Raw Cat Food

I guess it depends on how well you store it and how quickly you go through the bottle. Personally, I’d rather stab a capsule than worry about rancid oil.
Excellent point about rancidity. I only buy the 2 oz bottle (so go through it in a reasonable amount of time) and follow the directions about not storing the dropper in the bottle, storing the bottle in the fridge, etc. Just posted as an option.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent point about rancidity. I only buy the 2 oz bottle (so go through it in a reasonable amount of time) and follow the directions about not storing the dropper in the bottle, storing the bottle in the fridge, etc. Just posted as an option.
That's pretty pricey? When you're making cat food or if you're already feeding pricey commercial you really want to try the costs down. I just bought 2 bottles of 200 omega 3 pills each bottle for $18 at costco. But nordic naturals is a good brand and your kitty is very lucky to get that fish oil!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow lol! Thats a lot of fishiness.
I don't taste it. I just pinch a bit of the capsule in a sharp part of my teeth and kind of twist and pull. It makes just a little hole like a pinprick.

But I used to chew cod liver oil capsules when I was little so I suppose I wouldn't mind too much if some got in my mouth, lol.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The gel caps are perfectly safe to consume. Dissolve in hot water and mix well with the rest of your slurry ingredients. I don't puncture or cut anything, and it can dissolve while I do my meat grinding.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep mine in the freezer (huge bottle the cats and I share) and pierce the ends with an ice pick.