How do you get drops in your cat's ears?

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had this little Himalayan now for one week and she came to me in a very ungroomed state. I honestly thought anyone with half a brain would at least groom a Himalayan in some way but obviously not everyone thinks the way I do. So her ears are bothering her and I need to get drops and cleaner in there but she's pregnant (not sure how far along yet) and I am always worried about handling her and being careful of her belly. She hates any type of grooming. When she got here I had to bathe the fleas off of her (didn't know she was pregnant but used kitten shampoo don't worry) and she tried clawing her way out. She bites the comb when I comb her and I cannot get her to sit still for anything that has to do with her ears. She's shaking her head and it's bothering her. I guess it's going to take more than just me to get it done.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put cat on the floor, knee behind/over cat, scuff, put drops in one ear - lightly rub ear to work the drops down but do not let go of the scuff. Do other ear. Release and move away so you don't get hit by any flying gunk or liquid as the cat attempts to shake it out.

I remember the old earmite drops.. .the ones you had to put in often. Neither of my parents wanted to risk getting stuff on them so they'd let me do it. So I've used this method to get drops in cats ears since I was ~5.