How do you feed freeze dried treats?

FreyaTheTabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was looking for different treats to switch off with for my girl & came across these. How do I feed them though? As is? Rehydrate with water? I'm very new to being a cat parent, so I have no experience with freeze dried food. I got excited about these because they look healthy for her!
20231019_100926.jpg

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i do both depending upon how big the treat is i figure it will get stuck in graycies throat the treat being dried out an all. i also crumble them as a topper when i am trying to get her used to any new flavor or brand of canned.:lol: just gotta becareful so she doesnt expect that with every meal.freeze dried treats have been a great help in teaching her things though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreyaTheTabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i do both depending upon how big the treat is i figure it will get stuck in graycies throat the treat being dried out an all. i also crumble them as a topper when i am trying to get her used to any new flavor or brand of canned.:lol: just gotta becareful so she doesnt expect that with every meal.freeze dried treats have been a great help in teaching her things though.
My girl seems super nonpicky & likes everything I've given her so far, which is awesome. I didn't think of it getting stuck in her throat. Definitely good to be aware of. I'll for sure add some water to em first then!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl seems super nonpicky & likes everything I've given her so far, which is awesome. I didn't think of it getting stuck in her throat. Definitely good to be aware of. I'll for sure add some water to em first then!
use that to your advantage to get her used to different brands flavors etc. of canned

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually as is, for me. Hydrating is better for them, but mine won't eat them once that way. And yeah, if you're going to do dry, you might need to break them into pieces.

FrazzledMumbly

Max's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I might break them into smaller pieces if they come in big chunks, but I leave freeze-dried treats dry. Max loves the crunchy and I like being able to throw them down the hallway for a little extra exercise. I alternate between rabbit, sardines, and duck in a different brand but any of them are a nice choice since there's no fillers to worry about that might upset someone's belly.

FreyaTheTabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might break them into smaller pieces if they come in big chunks, but I leave freeze-dried treats dry. Max loves the crunchy and I like being able to throw them down the hallway for a little extra exercise. I alternate between rabbit, sardines, and duck in a different brand but any of them are a nice choice since there's no fillers to worry about that might upset someone's belly.
I saw that this brand also has duck liver & turkey giblets so if she likes the chicken, I'll try some others too.

& Right because most cat treats are full of things cats don't need like corn.

Tiki cat & churu treats looked at least better than things like temptations, but just plain meat like this seems even better.

My girl is super nonpicky though & turning 5 months tomorrow, so since she can probably use all the calories she can get as a growing kitten, I'll probably get her a different treat to try every time she finishes a bag of what she has & alternate between lots of things.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't rehydrate them because my guys won't eat them if they are wet. Larger pieces get broken down a little bit, and any powder gets used as a topper.

Just an FYI, freeze dried giblets are really greasy! At least any that I have purchased have been. I ended up tossing the bag because my boys wouldn't eat them (probably because they like their treats dry)

FreyaTheTabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't rehydrate them because my guys won't eat them if they are wet. Larger pieces get broken down a little bit, and any powder gets used as a topper.

Just an FYI, freeze dried giblets are really greasy! At least any that I have purchased have been. I ended up tossing the bag because my boys wouldn't eat them (probably because they like their treats dry)
Oh that's good to know. I didn't even think about them possibly being greasy.

My girl seems to go crazy for wet or dry of anything. Lol She purrs when I bring her food or treats.