How do you dispose of your litter?

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find a better way of disposing the litter after I scoop it. Right now I just put it in a small waste basket and empty it once a day. But it stinks to high heaven! I was looking at the Litter Locker II, but I really don't want the added expense of having to buy the refills every month. What do you do?

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I save plastic shopping bags, scoop the piles into the bag, and put it outside in a garbage can...if you scoop your litter boxes more than twice a day, this would probably be rather tiring

But, I can't imagine what else would be easier - I'll be looking forward to seeing what others do with their "used litter"

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the plastic bags from grocery shopping or your newspaper, scoop the litter into that bag, tie it up and throw it out. Or get one of the big flip-top Tidy Cats buckets, put a bag in it, and scoop into that. . .they seal fairly well and the odor shouldn't be able to get out, you could probably go a few days before changing the bag.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a tidy cats box from when we used it. I put the scooped litter in used grocery bags, tie the tops and keep them in the tidycats box. When we take out the trash, we empty the box then.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recycle the plastic bags from the store- scoop up the mess, tie it up, and into the trash bin in the garage. That seems to work well! Now, if only I can get the bagger to quit giving me the stink-eye when I ask for plastic bags...

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a tub like the one Tidy Cats comes in as mentioned above. I scoop the litter into grocery bags and put them in the bucket. The bucket stays outside, but it's pretty airtight. I put them in trash bags when I take the trash out to be picked up.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grocery store plastic bags or the small plastic bags on a roll you put in your little trash cans and then into the regular trash.

I would not recommend flushing it - even if its says its ok. Sooner or later it will cost you a nice plumbing job!

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use used grocery bags, too. Then it goes into the garbage can in the garage. I scoop once a day, which is more than enough for one cat and two litterboxes.

jazzbear742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pour a little bit of baking soda into a gallon zip-lock type bag and then put the used litter inside. Then I put that bag into a plastic grocery bag that also has some baking soda in it. It really keeps the smell to a minimum. I used to put the two bags into an empty Tidy Cat pail with a lid but, in warmer weather, when I opened the lid the odor nearly knocked me over - almost like it was baking in there.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We scoop at least twice a day, often three or four times. We use the plastic bags from grocery shopping. We also use any plastic bags - old bread bags, anything that came in plastic. We don't have garbage pick-up, but we throw the garbage in the dumpster daily. That means the litter in the plastic bags is in our garbage for a day. We don't seem to have a problem, but we wash the garbage can liner (we have a garbage can that closes) weekly.

The one thing that REALLY bothers me about the clumping silica-based litter is that it's an environmental nightmare.
But we've tried all the natural litters, and where we live, they ALL attract ants, so they're just not an option.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Before bedtime, we scoop first into plastic sandwich baggies (non zip kind), then put those into larger plastic bags (grocery store or newspaper bags), then put those into a plastic tub with lid (housed in the garage) for overnight storage and do it again in the morning, so at least we can get a full days worth of litter into one large plastic bag, then into the outside trash can it goes. It still stinks to high heaven everytime we open the outside trash can
, but what are you gonna do?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used clumping litter I would just scoop it into one of the smaller waste baskets (with a plastic bag in it of course) that are around the house and take it right out to the large trash can in the detached shop building. Now I use safflower seeds and the urine gets dumped down the toilet. Poops still go in with the trash and are taken out.

Of course I'm spoiled with a place to keep garbage that isn't inside the house. If I didn't have that option I'd take it out to the dumpster at the end of the driveway.
That may actually be the solution for many if there's a nearby dumpster and they don't have a heavy bag. Take a walk (good for you) and throw it in.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use paper lunch bags and then put that into a plastic grocery bag. Tie it really tight, throw it into my kitchen garbage bin that is not plastic but aluminum so smells don't penetrate it and every few days empty my trash to the outside bin. I use heavy duty black garbage bags also so that helps cut down on smell. The white ones seem to allow odor to escape more easily.

I had a litter locker and it was more trouble than what it was worth...espcially with three cats worth of litter waste...
sometimes the bag would split open as I was removing it from the litter locker....so gross.

daoldguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We scoop twice a day into small biodegradable poop bags. We buy them at the Dollar Store for a box of 40 for $1.00.

These go in the garbage can in the garage.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kerr-flush-shhhhhh...

I do four litterboxes at the same time, so IMO its not too wasteful with the water.

speeedy01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I got my cat, I knew I wanted to keep her indoors... as i've had lots of trouble having cats outdoors. I knew I didn't want to have a kitty litter that I had to transfer into a plastic bag, and chuck in the bin... or in the garden (because I live in a public house). I also wanted the easiest option for me... as i'm also in a wheelchair. In Australia, I actually managed to find a kitty litter that would disolve, so you could chuck down the toilet! It comes in a big purple plastic bag/container type thing. It's REALLY good. Doesn't smell. It's great! I would tell you the name of it right now, but i've chucked out the packet. I will post it in the next few days.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I use Worlds Best Cat Litter, and it's flushable. It's better for the environment IMO to save plastic bags from reaching the landfill. At least the waste will go where human wastes go, lol.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to use Feline Pine Scoopable that was flushable. I decided to switch since I was having a hard time with the pee clumps breaking apart. It varied so much between boxes. One box seemed to hold the clumps and the next one I would open would be terrible. I decided to switch and now use Dr. Elsey's clumpable unscented and just scoop into plastic bags and take straight out to the garbage in the garage. I scoop one or twice a day with 2 cats.