How Do You Deal With Your Cat's Fur?

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Persian Cat - Anya. As you know Persian mostly with long fur... I will comb her every morning but I still find her fur flying around my house.
I'm just wondering how do you all deal with it and any tips to control your cat's shedding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
Having a houseful of Persians and 2 long haired dogs, I vacuum a lot. With the cats I also bathe them especially during shedding season - the bathing and blow drying helps control it.
How many Persian do you have? How long do you bath them? My Anya really hate bathing and especially the blowing process. Normally I'll send her to the groomer. By the way, you mentioned about shedding season... how do I know when is the shedding season? Thanks...

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fur around the house goes with the territory. You can minimize it by combing and bathing. I try to give Theo a bath every month or so. He is due now but I keep putting it off. He purrs while in the sink but he hates the blow dryer. He is getting better about it tho.

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
Fur around the house goes with the territory. You can minimize it by combing and bathing. I try to give Theo a bath every month or so. He is due now but I keep putting it off. He purrs while in the sink but he hates the blow dryer. He is getting better about it tho.
Anya can't tolerate blow dryer. When I'm holding the blow dryer, to her, I'm holding a Desert Eagle.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many Persian do you have? How long do you bath them? My Anya really hate bathing and especially the blowing process. Normally I'll send her to the groomer. By the way, you mentioned about shedding season... how do I know when is the shedding season? Thanks...
Let’s just say, I have enough... I am a breeder. My show cats get 4-5 shampoos each bath, the ones I am not showing usually get 2-3. Shedding usually occurs spring and fall in my house.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just keep telling myself that cat fur is a part of my household decor. :lol:

I have short haired cats but they do shed, especially during spring and fall. I try to brush them regularly, but that's pretty much it. The vacuum is always in reach. ;)

kevintsh

Anya's Parent
Young Cat
Purraise
Some friend recommended me to get an air purifier. Any of you have one of those? If yes, is it useful?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some friend recommended me to get an air purifier. Any of you have one of those? If yes, is it useful?
LOVE our air purifier. Caveat being it is a very high end unit - Rabbit Air. It does a fantastic job of helping with dander, dust and whatever else is flying around. Since we've been using it (actually we have 2, one in our bedroom and one downstairs - our house is small) our house is much easier to clean up than before. It just does not accumulate the way it did on the furniture.

It's also been great for allergy purposes. We breathe MUCH better indoors now.

That's not to say the floors don't need to be done still - we have hardwood so we use a Swifter for the most part and pull out the vacuum cleaner periodically to get at the crevices.

We also brush out our cat very regularly. Her favorite tool is the Kong Zoom Groom which is a silicone "brush" that is gentle to use but goes a fantastic job of getting extra fur off of her. Gosh, she just adores this, drools happily and lets us get every inch of long coat with it. We also use a comb at times and if needed we have a mat cutter for those rare tangles. One has to be very careful with using that and I caution always because if you aren't confident with handling your cat and comfortable with the tool, it can be a recipe for disaster. Thankfully, again, Cocoa is very docile and patient and I'm an expert at using it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an air purifier in the main living area of the house. We still have quite a bit of dust but we don't have air conditioning so we often open our windows, and of course, let all that crap inside.
I'll get to see how well it does in the fall and winter when it comes to air quality, although I have noticed we don't sneeze as much as we used to, so that's good. I will say, that it doesn't do much on the fur front. I do have to vacuum the air intake of the unite often enough, so it's obviously attracting the fur, but we still get accumulation around the house as well.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We sweep and mop every day but still have cat and dog fur around. It’s decorative, I keep telling myself. :)