How Do You Clean Up After Your Cat Eats? (all Food Types?)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a tablespoon to kill germs from multiplying on the dish rag in between washings and to disinfect the dishes. I wouldn't think that tiny bit that gets rinsed down the drain would be terribly toxic.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bleach can actually be used to purify drinking water (obviously following the recommended ratios) in cases of disaster or in areas where the water is not safe to consume, so I don't think that using a little bit for cleaning is likely to do major harm?

It's basically the same substance used to clean your tap water.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I'm mixing raw food I do wash the dishes in the sink with 1 tablespoon of bleach with the dishsoap.

I use sanitizing wipes at times. But day to day I run through the dish washer. The problem with hand washing is many people don't use really hot water. If I was hand washing I would still use the dash of bleach. I use rags that you use for a few days and throw them away when hand washing.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I'm mixing raw food I do wash the dishes in the sink with 1 tablespoon of bleach with the dishsoap.

I use sanitizing wipes at times. But day to day I run through the dish washer. The problem with hand washing is many people don't use really hot water. If I was hand washing I would still use the dash of bleach. I use rags that you use for a few days and throw them away when hand washing.
My cat eats three wet and one dry meals a day. Wash the wet saucers in hot water and remove food particles after each meal. I don't use soap every time. Air dry. Rinse, clean and refill water bowl twice a day. Wash dry food bowl about twice a week, sometimes with soap. When I do use a sponge it's the same one the humans use. She sleeps on my bed, I doubt she's got anything I'm not exposed to.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat eats three wet and one dry meals a day. Wash the wet saucers in hot water and remove food particles after each meal. I don't use soap every time. Air dry. Rinse, clean and refill water bowl twice a day. Wash dry food bowl about twice a week, sometimes with soap. When I do use a sponge it's the same one the humans use. She sleeps on my bed, I doubt she's got anything I'm not exposed to.
That's pretty much my logic, too! These cats sleep on our beds, rub their wet noses all over us, scent us with their open little jaws, walk on our tables and kitchen counters when we're not looking (but we see those footprints!), and even lick and drink out of our water glasses when they think we're not looking. (Who knows what they do with those water glasses when we really aren't looking!) Many of us even kiss those cats! And we recognize those grains of kitty litter that get everywhere.

I'm fine with all that so just don't understand why I still don't want to use those Rad Cat containers for human food even if they've been washed multiple times with soap and hot water!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine with all that so just don't understand why I still don't want to use those Rad Cat containers for human food even if they've been washed multiple times with soap and hot water!
I reuse liver tubs to store the cat food I mix. I don't use them to store my own food or leftovers though. It's like "Oh no, those are only for cat food." :crackup:

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually use a another sponge just because it's the same sponge for both my dog and my cat dishes. I first run them under hot water with a drop of dish soap and let it sit there for a few minutes. Then I scrub it under hot water (as hot as my hands can take it since I don't have gloves) before rinsing with hot water then cold. After that it air dries until I put it in my cat's cupboard.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reuse liver tubs to store the cat food I mix. I don't use them to store my own food or leftovers though. It's like "Oh no, those are only for cat food." :crackup:
Exactly! They're either for cat stuff or recycled... we generally have a surplus of that sort of container anyway!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I would have been afraid to use bleach on my boy's bowls. Is this something that you should always do though when you're feeding raw?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat off stoneware/ceramic. The bleach rinses off completely (as far as I know) and if there is any residue, the chlorine would evaporate upon air drying. I've always used a bit of bleach in the dishwater. It's how my mom and grandmother washed dishes.