How Do You Cat Proof?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Yep, $15 a month per cat, so $30 total per month (35% of my monthly cat costs is from their 'cat rent') and $360 total per year. Which isn't the worst. I dog walk for extra cash and some of the apartments I walk at cost $50 a month per dog. Honestly it's just an expensive city. You'd be hard-pressed to find a 1 bedroom apartment under $1,000 a month that also allows pets. Big change from the state I did undergrad in.
Well, dogs are often very destructive, so I can understand that much more than I can charging those amounts for cats. After all, any "accidents" can be cleaned with enzymatic cleaner, apartment curtains/drapes/blinds are often very cheap so can be replaced very cheaply, and what else? But I know about rents, living in L.A. Metro. I thank my beloved parents, who are gone, every day for this beautiful home we have. I could never afford to rent here, let alone find a place where my family and I could live. L.A. Metro is pretty good as far as percentage of rentals allowing cats -- over 60% do, according to what I've read -- but the rents are beyond exorbitant. I have friends who have had to move and rent with roommates to afford it at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, this weekend has been one of cat-proofing the heck out of my place.

I got the little blind cord wind-up protector things, so now the cords are more securely tucked up away from the boys. I'm not a huge fan of the variety I got, so I might try to find more user-friendly ones.

In the kitchen I've begun drying and putting up my dishes right away, so no need for the dish rack. It's times like these I really miss a dishwasher. And I've also, after much heartbreak, removed the knife block from the counter and put the knives in my drawers. It's a really nice one I got as a grad/birthday gift from by parents so when the boys are more chill it's definitely coming back out, but for now, I don't want a chance of the boys getting hurt.

I've tried double sided sticky tape on the counters for the last few days. Doesn't help at all. I woke up to a weird nose this morning and Monty was sitting on it, LICKING it! I'm about to give up. Only thing left to try would be a motion sensor spray. I'll attempt that sometime in the next couple weeks. Would spraying bitter apple spray on the counters be a deterrent?

I've gone around the apartment and taken most small things off of surfaces and stowed them in drawers. My soap and TP in the bathroom are still up in a cabinet for now, but I'll give them another try in their normal places soon to see if the boys will finally stop being so interested in them.

My main objective now is to cat-proof my bookcase. I think I've figured out a way I can jerry-rig up a piece of clear plastic/acrylic and hold it in place with command velcro strips on the shelves of my bookcase, so the boys wouldn't be able to sit on the shelves (and tear down all my books, again). Just need to get my handy Uncle over here to help out!

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions! I really appreciate having such a knowledgeable community of cat lovers to turn to.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this weekend has been one of cat-proofing the heck out of my place.

I got the little blind cord wind-up protector things, so now the cords are more securely tucked up away from the boys. I'm not a huge fan of the variety I got, so I might try to find more user-friendly ones.

In the kitchen I've begun drying and putting up my dishes right away, so no need for the dish rack. It's times like these I really miss a dishwasher. And I've also, after much heartbreak, removed the knife block from the counter and put the knives in my drawers. It's a really nice one I got as a grad/birthday gift from by parents so when the boys are more chill it's definitely coming back out, but for now, I don't want a chance of the boys getting hurt.

I've tried double sided sticky tape on the counters for the last few days. Doesn't help at all. I woke up to a weird nose this morning and Monty was sitting on it, LICKING it! I'm about to give up. Only thing left to try would be a motion sensor spray. I'll attempt that sometime in the next couple weeks. Would spraying bitter apple spray on the counters be a deterrent?

I've gone around the apartment and taken most small things off of surfaces and stowed them in drawers. My soap and TP in the bathroom are still up in a cabinet for now, but I'll give them another try in their normal places soon to see if the boys will finally stop being so interested in them.

My main objective now is to cat-proof my bookcase. I think I've figured out a way I can jerry-rig up a piece of clear plastic/acrylic and hold it in place with command velcro strips on the shelves of my bookcase, so the boys wouldn't be able to sit on the shelves (and tear down all my books, again). Just need to get my handy Uncle over here to help out!

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions! I really appreciate having such a knowledgeable community of cat lovers to turn to.
You might want to try sheets of aluminum foil on the countertops and bookcases. Cats don't like the feel of it or the shiny slickness of it. It might work.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm at the point where I might consider asking my landlord if I can stick frosted privacy film on the bathroom windows, even though my contract says I'm not allowed to. Actually, I just looked some up on Amazon and there's ones that stick through static, not adhesive, so maybe those would work? Or maybe the cats would just tear it down and eat it... I suppose I could just put all the blinds up when I turn the lights off right before I go to bed.
The static cling privacy film is fantastic. I used it on the sidelight by my front door. I put it up two years ago and it’s still up and perfect. It goes on with soap and water, but comes right off, leaving clean glass. I picked a rice paper look, but there are lots of patterns...or just plain frosted. I bought the Artscape brand. I’m not sure the cats would even notice it, but if they scratch it off, you’d just (just...ha) be out the money for the film.

Attachments

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I just bought some of the nonadhesive type to try and break up the window reflections for my hummies - the directions say a clean window and soapy water works best to get the film to stay put, no residue left when you take it down. I haven't received it yet but we'll see how it does...I can't imagine the cats ...oh, yeah, never mind LOL, maybe you're right. Seems like it'd be worth a try?
I have it. Works like a charm!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The static cling privacy film is fantastic. I used it on the sidelight by my front door. I put it up two years ago and it’s still up and perfect. It goes on with soap and water, but comes right off, leaving clean glass. I picked a rice paper look, but there are lots of patterns...or just plain frosted. I bought the Artscape brand. I’m not sure the cats would even notice it, but if they scratch it off, you’d just (just...ha) be out the money for the film.
How I wish I could get some of this and put it on the bathroom windows! They have some ancient privacy film which is so cracked and peeling -- and the sticky stuff is so old there's no way it's ever going to come off the windows. I'd have to just replace the glass and then put new privacy film up, I guess.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
How I wish I could get some of this and put it on the bathroom windows! They have some ancient privacy film which is so cracked and peeling -- and the sticky stuff is so old there's no way it's ever going to come off the windows. I'd have to just replace the glass and then put new privacy film up, I guess.
Ugh. I was going to suggest Goo Gone, but it’s probably hard like cement by now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might want to try sheets of aluminum foil on the countertops and bookcases. Cats don't like the feel of it or the shiny slickness of it. It might work.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's one of the many I've already tried. I tried smoothly laying it out, I tried scrunching it a little, I flipped it on its shiny side, and the not so shiny side. All that did was waste foil. The cats had a ball playing on it and clawing at it. Weirdos. I got scared they would end up ingesting some, so I took it down.
...wiping tears of laughter...ok, so anyway, you could definitely try the bitter apple spray, there have been other mentions of citrus but I don't know about that.
I've tried citrus. Lemon juice, nothing. Lime juice, nothing. Citrus peels scattered around the counter, they're just play toys for the boys. Bitter apple spray is my last chance to find a scent they hate!

And Tobermory Tobermory I did end up getting some of the film for the windows. It's fantastic! It's pretty easy to put up, although I didn't really cut the lines very straight, so it's a little ugly. But I'm only here another year so I don't really care, as long as it's functional!

EmmiTemmi EmmiTemmi - You don't know how lucky you are that your kids like to read; mine just look at the pictures!

No stop, that's too cute!:p

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
And Tobermory Tobermory I did end up getting some of the film for the windows. It's fantastic! It's pretty easy to put up, although I didn't really cut the lines very straight, so it's a little ugly. But I'm only here another year so I don't really care, as long as it's functional!
Isn’t it a great solution? Mine’s not perfect, either. The spouse insisted on “helping.” :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's one of the many I've already tried. I tried smoothly laying it out, I tried scrunching it a little, I flipped it on its shiny side, and the not so shiny side. All that did was waste foil. The cats had a ball playing on it and clawing at it. Weirdos. I got scared they would end up ingesting some, so I took it down.

I've tried citrus. Lemon juice, nothing. Lime juice, nothing. Citrus peels scattered around the counter, they're just play toys for the boys. Bitter apple spray is my last chance to find a scent they hate!

No stop, that's too cute!:p
Sorry to hear about the foil. Just FYI, though, foil can be washed and reused.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats On Counters Calendar

First cat; first day: "Oh God, the cat's on the counter!!! No cats on the counter!!! Ack!!!! There's a cat hair!!!"

First cat; first week: "No, no - mustn't get on the counters, sweetie."

First cat; first month: "No, no; you can't be on the counter while I'm preparing food. Let's get down and I'll give you some treats."

First cat; first year: "No, no - we don't walk across the counter while I'm trimming the steak. Here's a bowl with some treats; sit on the kitchen table like a good kitty."

Two cats: second year: "We have company, and not everyone likes kitties eating off their plates. You two come and sit at my end of the table, and leave our guests alone."

Three cats; third year: "Don't worry about the cats eating off your plates - they won't eat much."

Four cats; four years: "Thanks for the dinner invitation, but I'd rather just stay home with the cats."

;)
I agree, except replace "weeks" with days and "months" with weeks, "years" with months.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, except replace "weeks" with days and "months" with weeks, "years" with months.
Purr-fect Purr-fect - I always imagine Families with multiple cats not being much different than 'regular' Families at the dinner table.

"Mo-o-o-o-ommm! Billy has more cat hair in his soup than I do!"

<Billy plucks a cat hair from his Campbell's Chicken Noodle, and holds it aloft.>

"Nyaahhh, nyaah, nyaah, nyaah, nyaah, nyaaaaaaaaaah!"

"Stop that this instant, Billy. Give your Sister some of your cat hair!"

Okay... maybe just a little bit different than 'regular' Families at the dinner table.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EmmiTemmi EmmiTemmi you definitely have your hands full!

First, your kittens are at that terrible stage when they finally get their muscular coordination, and they're loving it. Not unlike teenagers who ride skateboards on bannisters (8 floors up), bungee jump from freeway overpasses, and tall buildings, etc.

Eventually, with age, they will calm down a lot. I have kitties who are all grown, but I've had houses full of kittens, too. Kittens, particularly under a year, are fragile. They get stuck in things and die. They eat stuff they shouldn't. (How do you think I know? :() They get into dryers, then get dried to death in the load. They slide off, drop into, and balance, then fall, sending stuff with them. Your tale is par for the course.

All of the suggestions proposed by various people here work. Also, I keep so much junk on my countertops that the cats have little or no room up there. Combined with tape and aluminum foil, that's a habit that's usually relatively easy to break. (Don't use flypaper, as a sadist suggested.)

I got rid of my blinds because they were so hard to clean.

I recall that Cat Site is against declawing, and there are things you can do to lessen kitty scratching. They like exposed corners, burlap, "Early American" anything with threads the claws and catch and tear. (And, woven laundry baskets.) They're less fond of leather, velveteen and other tougher stuff. But, kittens are willing try anything. Maybe some double-sided sticky tape for that exposed corner? And, make sure you have plenty of proper scratch posts for them to use.

Keep us apprized of your progress. Once your kitties get to true adulthood, about two or three years old, they'll often calm down a lot. Though they might still do some vandalizing for old times' sake . . . .