How do you avoid being ripped off/scammed by the vet?

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any veterinarian who is up to date on pain management does not think that way. One of the vets I work for graduated in 1976 and this is what he was taught, however, he works very hard to stay current on many topics including vaccine protocols, diagnostic testing, etc. He strongly believes in adequate pain relief for post op patients (even cats who need dental extractions). Unfortunately, there are still a lot of veterinarians who think the "old fashioned" way.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
every animal ive had spayed or neutered has been up and running and playing around as soon as the anesthesia wore off, so i really dont think they needed any kind of pain meds. now if its obvious your pet is suffereing in that case i would give it, but not under normal circumstances when they re running around playing right after. now i know people say cats hide their pain but i doubt theyd be running around.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Les0304

Any veterinarian who is up to date on pain management does not think that way. One of the vets I work for graduated in 1976 and this is what he was taught, however, he works very hard to stay current on many topics including vaccine protocols, diagnostic testing, etc. He strongly believes in adequate pain relief for post op patients (even cats who need dental extractions). Unfortunately, there are still a lot of veterinarians who think the "old fashioned" way.
Les0304,
I'm glad for your posts about the pain meds. Gives me some food for thought and I will certainly discuss this with my vet when I go in. I don't want to make my fur-babies suffer because of my ignorance about something.
The wonderful people that post on this site are always teaching me and I, (and all my babies), are grateful for that.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think there is some talking past each other going on here. Some vets offer both pain meds at the time of surgery and pills to go home.

When I got my kittens spayed, there was a long checklist style contract for the spay.

I could even have chosen to do a laser instead of scalpel surgery. I simply didn't have the money to do it (for three kittens).

One of the items was pain medication while at the vet (I said yes) and pain medication to go home (I said no). I do think it would be cruel to have no pain medication (beyond anesthesia), but, depending on the cat, I do not think they need pain medication at home. For one thing, when I got my kittens spayed I had a very, very hard time pilling them, as they didn't like me all that much. The pain they'd have to go through to get the pills (which they might not even get much of) would probably be worse than the pain from the surgery.

Personally, I try to avoid pain meds for myself for the same reason that Cearbhaill avoids giving pain meds to cats when not absolutely necessary. If I have a fever and take drugs to make it go down, or get rid of the pain from an injury, I don't treat myself the way I should and I stay sick. If I feel the pain, I treat the pained part gingerly, and it heals faster. Of course, if the pain is not giving me a useful signal, I don't want it, and that kind of pain shouldn't be felt by my cats either.

I'm pretty sure dissolving stitches was automatic - no choice. When I look through veterinary supply catalogs, it's very hard to find the non-dissolving stitches. Most vets use dissolving stitches for spays. I'd definetly go with the dissolving stitches.

I had taken the kittens' mother to a cheaper vet (a clinic), and there were no options. They did the most simple, straightforward surgery; no laser surgery, no pills to go home, no other options. They were a very good clinic; they gave vaccinations, they did spays and neuters, they were extremely cheap, but if your cat had a serious illness, they told you to go elsewhere. I am still a huge fan of this clinic; it is extremely useful for all the pets not gifted with rich owners. I stopped going there simply because the wait, line outside, and waiting room was too much for my cats. And I could ask for the most simple, uncomplicated procedure and pay only slightly more at the vet with all the options.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
DreamingRecover;1318851 said:
do you think that my kittens could get dissolving stiches? it would cost so much less because i wouldn't have to go back. but my cats are really active.
ive never heard of anyone charging to remove the stitches, its included in the procedure.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like the other poster said, suture removal is usually n/c, and included with the procedure. I prefer that kittens/cats are brought back in so that we can see how the incision healed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I understand your reason for not wanting to indicate where you live. It's just that I also live outside the Toronto area and thought I might have been able to offer some vet suggestions. No problem.
thanks for understanding

Originally Posted by catsallover

There's GOTTA be an option. I would try a more "rural/suburbian" vet-might get a better explanation and price
they do explain it, but they sometimes try to 'add' stuff after. its just a matter of reading the bill and disagreeing to pay.

Originally Posted by jaycee

a lot of vets where i live send their stool samples out to a lab for testing and i have heard that these places are much more thorough than the ones that test in house at the vets office.
thats good to know
. also, i hope the vet give me the lab testings result to look at myself. i will definately ask for it anyways.

Originally Posted by jaycee

and if they do something without asking i certainly would not feel obligated to pay for it!
don't pay it, and think of it as a gift from them to you. presents are nice once and a while.

Originally Posted by Momofmany

One question that is always telling concerning what you might call "scamming" is this: If I bring in an animal that is terminally ill, how do you approach the decision to euthanize. If their answer is that they go to all extremes to save the pet (no questions asked), then I suspect you will feel scammed. On the other hand, if they talk about educating you about the decision and help you to draw your own conclusions, then they will always include you in any decision to spend money on them.
an excellent question to ask. thanks.

Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

Originally Posted by Natalie

For those who forgo pain medication for their animals, can I ask why you do that?
Years of animal management has given us the tools and understanding to best manage situations involving pain in animals, and restriction of movement is key to a speedy and complete, uncomplicated recovery.
Natalie, i'm going to have to agree with Cearbhaill's comment. as it sounds like it has great reason. and i'm glad i made the decision to not use pain medication.

Originally Posted by les

Offering pain medication is totally for the welfare of the animal, and it is up to their responsible owner to follow post op instructions and keep the activity limited, which can be done.
during the night i cannot control their behaviour. they go wild and pounce and stalk each-other for hours while i'm asleep. i've talked to an animal fosterer and she's neutered and sprayed over 20 cats without pain meds and all has been fine.

i do care about the pain they are in. but i also care about their complete recovery. if they get active and careless and tear a stitch and it gets infected they'll be in ALOT more pain after that. not to mention there'll be another gruelling 40 minute ride to the vet and 40 minute ride back.

Originally Posted by tru

A couple of the other practices only insisted on rabies shot when they spay/neuter since they also work through programs to spay/neuter at a very reduced price just to be sure the animals are getting fixed. Good for them I say!
i got my flvcp and rabies before + a booster shot that i need. it was an excellent price too! + i took fecal samples of all three cats at the same time. all done in one trip.

Originally Posted by Enuja

I could even have chosen to do a laser instead of scalpel surgery. I simply didn't have the money to do it (for three kittens).
at my clinic laser surgury was the only option. and they also got dissolving stitches, which was an option, but the doctor said i didnt need them.