How do you all calculate calories?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used my personal calorie calculator, LOSE IT, an app.. And entered the amount of food specter eats and this was the result.
Screenshot_20200422-103930~2.png

... That's .. A bit excessive! Not worried about her gaining weight as this is one every other day and her weight remains consistent; 8.6LBS to 8.8LBS, but I'm wondering how everyone else calculates their cat's daily calories in their homeade servings. I presume you can do some math; but I'm not great doing that! LOL.

I'm doing cooked food but feel free to share regardless. I'm curious both ways. :cloud9:

On another note.. Would cutting back on her homeade be wise, considering I'm cutting back on canned so there's more 280 calorie days? She's weighed daily but I'm just wondering if perhaps 6.0OZ or 5.9OZ would be more appropriate. Dunno.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I’ve used the calculator on. Knowwhatyoufeed.com
This is the website of the maker of the supplement Alnutrin.
I’ve also used the calculator from a link on Hare Today. I’ve even got calories for whole mice.

I figure that these will yield calorie estimates. It can give a base for deciding how much to feed, and add or reduce if necessary.

I had an overweight cat, Zeke, whose now lost just over 5 pounds. Between the calorie estimates, weighing the food, and weighing him regularly, we got him down to 15lbs. I estimate his current intake at around 130 calories of food per day, plus a few treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
I’ve used the calculator on. Knowwhatyoufeed.com
This is the website of the maker of the supplement Alnutrin.
I’ve also used the calculator from a link on Hare Today. I’ve even got calories for whole mice.

I figure that these will yield calorie estimates. It can give a base for deciding how much to feed, and add or reduce if necessary.

I had an overweight cat, Zeke, whose now lost just over 5 pounds. Between the calorie estimates, weighing the food, and weighing him regularly, we got him down to 15lbs. I estimate his current intake at around 130 calories of food per day, plus a few treats.
Thanks for sharing!! I'll look into those calculators! I also wouldn't mind a pic of zeke if you have the time... :worship: His calories make me think long and hard about specters...I think i ought to reduce a bit...!!

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious if there is a way to know the calories as well. I've used the calculator on knowwhatyoufeed.com but they don't have a good amount of food on there that my cats eat in their raw grinds :(

It seems like most people just feed by the body weight instead, 2-3% of weight in food per day and adjust for activity level/weight loss and use a scale to track weight.