How Do I Train My Cat Out Of Nibbling His Litter?

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat's using Yesterday's News, because he's going to be neutered soon, and I do anticipate using natural litter in the future. However, the reason that I want to use natural litter in the future, besides reducing tracking issues, is because he has a tendency to sniff his litter for a long time and sometimes put it into his mouth, clay or natural.

I'd like to train him out of this, but am unsure how. I usually just give him a little push when I see him doing it, and he gets the message, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's 6 - 7 months old now, so I find it a bit odd.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how to stop it, but it does seem a good idea to switch to something that isn't as likely to cause health issues as clay. I mean, depending on how much gets eaten, clay could be a real problem. Maybe some folks can suggest the best natural alternative. I hear some folks use Cedar chips. Maybe those are too big to be eaten?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The good and the bad is that you have litter that is less likely to cause an issue with your kitty eating it, but it could also be that he smells it too much and can't steer away from it because of that - and that he is still a kitten.

Continue to give him a little nudge away from it as you are doing; that might be just enough to over time get him to stop. He is very likely to grow out of it. You could try something like some cat grass to entice him away from the litter - give him something else to chew on.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you see him eating the litter, stop him, and try to get it out of his mouth. Then put him in front of his dish of food. Hopefully in time he'll learn litter is not food. If you ever think he may have eaten a considerable amount of litter, please contact your vet.