How do I train a cat to use a door bell.

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are several brands of wireless remote door bells designed for dogs. They require about 0.75 pounds of pressure.

I would like suggestions on how to train my cat to use it.

Princess is 16 years old, and highly intelligent. She watched how I open the traverse curtains, and she taught herself how to do it.
I cover her food dishes so that the moist food does not dry out. I taught her how to remove the cover by pushing it off with her nose.
Princess can open interior doors from the inside or outside, as long as they are not firmly latched. At first she tried to use the door knob (she is very long), but could not grasp it. So, instead, she pushes open a door with her nose (even if it is a little stiff), and she pulls open the door by hooking a claw to its edge.

She will sit outside the sliding glass doors till someone notices her and lets her in.
If she is desperate to get in (cold, wet or afraid of an animal), she will scratch on the glass or the screen.

So the doorbell sounds like a possibility. Any training suggestions? Has anyone on this forum done that, or something similar?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you combine it with clicker training in some way?

A couple years ago I saw a video of a cat using a doorbell, so it's definitely do-able - they're so smart :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouraging reply.

I am not familiar with clicker training. I will have to look into it.

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just discovered that there are now quite a few brands of wireless remote doorbells designed for dogs. They have large buttons that require only light pressure. I will try one of those.

Training will still be an adventure ;). I will let you know how it goes.

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion about the pet doorbell mat.
The mat is too wide to sit on the top step leading up to my sliding glass doors, which is where I would need it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, drat. And darn. I tried! Good luck with the training, and let us know how it goes!