How do I teach my new 3 year old cat to use an enclosed litter box with a door?

Blipstein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 12 year old cat and he's always used an enclosed litter box with a door. I recently adopted a 3.5 year old cat and I need a little help teaching her how to use the litter box. When I put her in there with the door closed she just kinda sits in there and doesn't know to push the door open. I'll hold the door open a little bit and she'll start to come out. Then I'll let the door down on her head or the back of her neck as she's exiting but that doesn't seem to make her get the concept.
For now, I'm able to fold the doors up so it's just an open door to the box but I'd like to get to the point that I can keep the doors closed (I have two identical enclosed boxes). Pics of the litter boxes are attached.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi. I have never tried an enclosed litter box with my cats but I am sure someone on here has. I am kind of anxious to read the replies because I am curious about them as well. And welcome to TCS! It's nice to meet you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thinking outside the box, here, and you'll have to do a bit of googling, but there are SEVERAL articles on teaching a cat to use a cat-flap. I found 20 or so. It seems to me that some of the techniques might well translate over, as the door to the litter box is just another kind of cat flap. I'd read several articles, and see if you can't pick up some tricks from those. I read 3-4 of them, and they ALL mentioned sticking your hand through the door when the cat is inside, and offering treats, then guiding them through with the treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blipstein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. I'll check it out. Pleasure to meet you guys as well

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I'll check it out. Pleasure to meet you guys as well
Welcome to TCS, B Blipstein and family! Other posters' suggestions are very helpful; to them, I would just like to add that I like to let my cats choose their own preferences. I have only one covered box and the rest are uncovered, because they are preferred by far over the covered ones, where a cat can feel trapped.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have their litter box preferences. Not all will use a covered box with or without a door. Try removing the door or taping it up temporarily. What kind of litter box was the cat using before? Provide an uncovered litter box if the cat just won't use a covered box.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just a shot in the dark, but do you know why the cat you adopted was given up? I'm wondering, if it's litter box problems, if she was ganged up on or attacked while using a covered box and now is afraid to go in, or afraid to come out.
Like I said, unlikely but just something to consider.
We used these boxes for awhile, and almost always did what you are doing, left some open, and some covered. They were nice boxes, until I tried to dislodge a pee clump from the bottom outside in below freezing weather and sent a big old crack up the bottom of the pan :doh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blipstein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are no litter box problems. She uses the covered litter box with the door open with no problems at all. I have just always had covered litter boxes and if I can get her used to using it that would be ideal.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The door might be the issue. Some cats just don't like the door for some reason or another :dunno: Just provide a covered box without a door.

toriiaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 12 year old cat and he's always used an enclosed litter box with a door. I recently adopted a 3.5 year old cat and I need a little help teaching her how to use the litter box. When I put her in there with the door closed she just kinda sits in there and doesn't know to push the door open. I'll hold the door open a little bit and she'll start to come out. Then I'll let the door down on her head or the back of her neck as she's exiting but that doesn't seem to make her get the concept.
For now, I'm able to fold the doors up so it's just an open door to the box but I'd like to get to the point that I can keep the doors closed (I have two identical enclosed boxes). Pics of the litter boxes are attached.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Keep doing what your doing. My kitten was the same way, she refused to go in there with the door on. I had it off for about 2 weeks then I put it back on & she was fine with it. Haven’t had a problem since 😌

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just provide a covered box without a door.
:yeah: This is what I do. I prefer covered boxes because it helps contain the flying litter (I have some VERY enthusiastic diggers :lol: ), but I always remove the doors. It's very easy to do, and the cats definitely prefer it that way. The top flap stays down and in place, it's just the actual door I take off. One of my boxes is the same as yours, so I know it works with that style :)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
That was my problem with my Barley before, and no matter how I taught him he did not seem to get the concept.
When I removed the flap, it worked like magic. I also suggest the same.