How do I teach my cat to use his scratching post?

poise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've bought a new scratching post for Bond and he's not the least bit interested in it. The previous post my dad made out of a piece of hard sponge wrapped around a cane stand, so the new one is of different material.
He doesn't use it for scratching nor playing or even for sleeping in/on it.
I tried moving it around, last time I put it against the window board so sometimes he uses it to get to the window but mostly doesn't.
I tried playing with him on it, that works but only for the moment.

At the same time he seems to have no problem playing on the new bookshelf and gnawing on the plant he knows I don't let him.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Posie .. I'm new to the forum here & just became owned by a male rescue a couple of weeks ago.   We, of course, ran out & bought a bunch of toys & a very simple scratching post for starters.  I continue to use a little fishing toy with a squeaky mouse on the end with feathers to interest him in it by running it up & down it.  

He's done quite well with the toys associating him to using it our opinion.  Of course there have also been a couple of chicken treats & copious "Good Boys" associated with the training.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
  • Does he like catnip?  try bagging some up and making it into a dangly attachment.. or dangle other toys from it to attract him. You can also buy catnip sprays, and other cat attracting stuff.  Or just buy dry catnip and rub it in.
  • Leave the post somewhere he likes to be.. the window sounds good.It means he can have a good old scratch and then climb up and check out the view.  Or even near the new book shelf he likes so much. 
  • If he does scratch on something else, put the post in front of it.
  • One of the reasons cat poles often have little hidey holes is because cats will often have a nap (in the hidey-hole perhaps) wake up and enjoy a good scratch.  So putting his cat bed nearby can also be a good idea, depending on his habits.
  • Be a cat in front of him and scratch the post yourself.
  • And if he does use it, immediately do something he loves... a treat, a pat or just really encouraging words.
Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

poise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I tried showing him by scratching the post in front of him and taking his paw afterwards and pressing it gently so the claws come out and mimicking the movement but he just looked at me in a 'What are you doing for God's sake?' way.
I tried playing with him with a string on it but he didn't want to jump on the panels and would only plunge a claw into the post and release immediatelly.
I tried bribing him with treats and he would jump on the panels for them and jump to the ground to eat them.
He doesn't have a bed. I made him a cardboard one but he never wanted to be in it so I threw it out. He has his place on the beds, the chairs, the fireplace, the desk.
I throw his toys in the hole of the post which is intended as a bed, he goes in for them and immediately comes out and isn't interested in going back in at all. Maybe because it has only one entrance?

I never tried with catnip, I will try putting some on and in the post but won't he just chew on it and rub at it, then?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure the scratching post is not wobbly? It should be able to take Bond's weight or his attempts at scratching without it shaking. 

poise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a just little wobbly but it won't tip over... I don't know why it's wobbly in the first place...

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't fret, Poise. :-)
For most cats, it takes time for them to get used to a new scratching post. Put it in a spot where they like to scratch or a previous post used to be and leave it there. Sprinkle cat nip over it, put treats around it and play with them around it. They'll get used to it. :-)

poise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I removed the lower panel and he's using it now on a daily basis! Thank you! :)