How do I stop my kitten scratching carpet?

Catsmother70

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have laminated flooring throughout my house apart from stairs and landing (which is brand new) but he’s scratching it. I have scratching posts and a cat tree but he would rather scratch the carpet.

any idea on how to stop it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, ---if you haven't already, you might look into other scratching pads, hanging as well as floor types that have carpet on them (kittens and cats benefit from the exercise they get as well as from the stretching), or he might like the cardboard types too.

Also, you might check into carpet remnants and tack those down over his favorite spots so that he can scratch away, but not ruin the main carpet and you'll be less stressed :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where on the carpet is he scratching? On the flat parts (landing) or on the risers? You may just need a different type of scratch pad/post! There are so many to choose from, from vertical to horizontal, to angled! Every cat has their preferred way to scratch, and their preferred material. My girl likes horizontal and cardboard. And it took me a YEAR to figure this out, and stop her from wholesale slaugher of the upholstery!