How Do I Stop My Cat From Screaming At The Door?

jayjhis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 1/2 year old spayed female cat goes to my apartment door at night and cries. Loudly. She does this until I get up and walk toward her, then she either runs away or starts yelling at me. Once I go back to bed, a few minutes go by and she's back to wailing at the door. She'll do this outside my bedroom or bathroom door if they're closed too, but that's not such a big deal.

She's always done this when someone is in a room she can't go into, but she has just started doing it in front of my apartment door pretty recently. I don't know if she just figured out there are other people in the building or if she thinks any guests we've had over are right outside or what. Having my sleep interrupted over and over every night is frustrating, but having her be so upset and not knowing how to fix it feels terrible.

Does anyone have any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know for sure, perhaps others here have dealt with this sort of situation but I'm wondering if a feline buddy would help her?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ignore her, or pretend to. And that is HORRIBLY hard to do, I know. But if she doesn't get any sort of payoff, she will quit. Not in a day, or in two, but once she realizes that you are NOT GOING TO RESPOND, she'll stop. Meanwhile, LOL, try earplugs. Or a cup of hot chamomile tea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayjhis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom She (Ganji, btw) has a buddy already, we got a male kitten (Goomba) from the shelter about a year ago and now they're inseparable. Sometimes he seems like he's trying to console her when she's at the door but that doesn't work either :dunno:

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 my neighbor tells me she does this all day when nobody is home too. But I'll give it a shot. Do you think it would be helpful if I shut her out of my bedroom for a while and let her cry outside my bedroom door? Obviously after I've acquired some earplugs...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness. I guess the only other thing I could think of is a vet check for any physical issues. Best of luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, I wouldn't shut her out of the bedroom. Your bedroom is where your scent is just saturated, and it is prime territory for a cat. She can just bask in your smell there, adding hers to it. Locking her out would just add to her stress. Here's something that might give you some ideas:

Separation Anxiety In Cats