How Do I Stop My Cat From Begging For Human Food.

Bingoham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I got a 3 month old cat but every time I eat he just wants to eat my food resulting in him climbing all over me. I’ve grown up with cat but none of them had any interest in human food (other then cheese). How do I stop him from begging/climbing on me for food?

(He has food an eats it)
(His name is shadow)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A firm NO and, if the kitten is on your lap / table / counter, place the kitten firmly on the floor.

More tips:

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
Cat Behavior For Beginners
How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables

Make sure that you are feeding your kitten plenty of food. 3 month old kittens are eating machines and need a lot of food for growth. Most people agree that free feeding a growing kitten is best. Both canned and dry can be fed. Dry food is generally left out all day for snacking on.

Some people foods are ok for cats but not all. Familiarize yourself with this list People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Some people feed their cats a raw or home cooked diet or even give small pieces of safe foods like plain cooked or raw meat, raw gizzards, and whole cooked eggs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bingoham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A firm NO and, if the kitten is on your lap / table / counter, place the kitten firmly on the floor.

More tips:

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
Cat Behavior For Beginners
How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables

Make sure that you are feeding your kitten plenty of food. 3 month old kittens are eating machines and need a lot of food for growth. Most people agree that free feeding a growing kitten is best. Both canned and dry can be fed. Dry food is generally left out all day for snacking on.

Some people foods are ok for cats but not all. Familiarize yourself with this list People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Some people feed their cats a raw or home cooked diet or even give small pieces of safe foods like plain cooked or raw meat, raw gizzards, and whole cooked eggs.
Thank you this should be very helpful

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat does the name thing! He's even done it to guests when eating - very rude!

A firm no and taking him off the table/couch etc. has worked. Only issue for me is a give in and let him try my chicken so he's good with my husband who is strict about it but not me :blush:

Bingoham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5953EA6D-F695-497D-AD97-BB8F2F9B6A9C.jpeg
Meal #1
Progress but he’s president

Sat down to eat and as soon as he jumped up and went for the food I told him no and put him on the floor. He kept on doing it but each time I told him no and put him on the floor the more time between him jumping up for my food.
(I think he will learn in no time.)

Bingoham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 262193
Meal #1
Progress but he’s president

Sat down to eat and as soon as he jumped up and went for the food I told him no and put him on the floor. He kept on doing it but each time I told him no and put him on the floor the more time between him jumping up for my food.
(I think he will learn in no time.)
Persistent*

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ignore them and never ever give them table food- ever. Some cats want the attention so even picking them up saying no etc is reinforcement for the behavior.

I have found that some cats at this age are horrible food nudges and they do grow out of it if I completely ignore them. This means no talking, no contact, no "oh you naughty little kitty, oh kitty we love you" sweet talk. If they are having a growth spurt even with constant access to cat food they could be pains in the rear bumper about food but months later its a non-issue.

NoxfordComma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your little guy looks just like one of mine! And it's the one that begs for my food, too ;) Bowie is 5 months old now and will get up on my lap to sniff my food once in a blue moon. I always just pick him up, turn him around, and set him down with a firm no. He is resilient and will do this 5-10 times before he gives up and goes to play. But like I said, he's stopped doing this so frequently so hopefully your cat is similar!