How Do I Stop Kittens Suckling Habit?

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 week old foster kitten with a nursing habit. He is on solid food and no longer nursing. When I pet him he tries to suckle on my hand, I do not want this to be a long term habit, how do I stop this behavior? I have fostered him and his siblings since they were 2 weeks. Thank You!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cindyozzy Cindyozzy

He's very young to have no mom to nurse. Some kittens who are separated from mom too early do develop a sucking habit and find it comforting. Some outgrow it while others never do.

You can offer him a soft, stuffed animal to suckle, or the corner of a cloth soaked in kitten formula to suckle.

Otherwise, there is not much you can do other than take your hand away when he starts to suckle.

It's not hurting anything so I would not worry too much about it. :)

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
If he is separated from his mother and not being nursed, he probably has a habit for it now. You should get him kitten formula, so he gets enough milk, and maybe some toys like string, and toys that jingle. He will probably break this habit when he grows more.

CrazyCatLady86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old male who still suckles. Unfortunately some cats will continue to do it. It usually means they were taken away from mother too early. Not necessarily too early by every kittens standards but to that particular kitten. All kittens are different. Some may be ready to go at 6 weeks and others 8 weeks. I got my male at 6 weeks. Seeing as you fostered them since 2 weeks its obvious, he will probably have this issue for life.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old male who still suckles. Unfortunately some cats will continue to do it. It usually means they were taken away from mother too early. Not necessarily too early by every kittens standards but to that particular kitten. All kittens are different. Some may be ready to go at 6 weeks and others 8 weeks. I got my male at 6 weeks. Seeing as you fostered them since 2 weeks its obvious, he will probably have this issue for life.
For future reference, kittens should really stay with mom until 10-12 weeks at least whenever possible.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with offering him something to suckle on now and perhaps he will outgrow the habit. Personally, I allow my bottle babies to self-wean; they don't "suck wool" when they are older. He probably needs extra cuddles and some extra interactive play. And thank you for being a foster parent!
:rock: