How Do I Stop Giving My Cat Static Electricity Shock?

GOODFELLA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its amazing that she doesn't run away. I tried touching inside of her paw as instructed by a youtube video but she doesn't like it. I am not sure about the spray that is recommended and strangely enough she shock herself by trying to lick my hand too. Its April but unfortunately its still cold In Canada and its lacks humidity witch i like, but the cat keeps getting shock , poor thing.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wet your hands slightly and run them over your cat. The added moisture will reduce the shocking for a short time.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before the days of surge suppressors we used to get strips of copper, to which we'd attach a wire that would then go to the screw in the center of the outlet plate so that it was grounded. We'd touch the copper strips next to our computers before touching the computers themselves in order to bleed off whatever static electricity we were carrying. {Important: The wire attached to the screw that holds an outlet plate in place, it does not attach directly to the power line!!!!} If you had one of these set up next to the place where you normally sit when the cat is wanting lap time it could at least reduce the problem. However, a humidifier would be a better option.

Margret

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that some shoes create more static electricity than others when I walk over carpets. Rubber soles, obviously, are less conductive. If you have carpets in your home, and wear shoes while walking around, you could also consider slippers.