How do I soothe a cat with PTSD? Help!

silentemotion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you soothe a cat with PTSD??? She won't eat unless I'm there, she won't use her litter box unless I'm in there, she won't drink unless I'm there, she screams at me all night long so I'm constantly up and down with her. A week ago she had an emergency c-section and total hysterectomy, she lost the babies. Now she's never been so vocal and this happens all night long. My husband works hard and she keeps us both up all night. It's come to a point where I have to leave the bedroom but when I do she's so vocal she wakes my kids up as well. I'm so lost and so tired. Please help!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Although it is usually a last resort, you might ask your vet about medication.  Antidepressants like prozac and zoloft or benzodiazepines like xanax or valium might help.  It sounds like a rough situation for everyone.  I'm so sorry she lost her kittens - poor baby.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silentemotion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She doesn't act like she's in physical pain, she plays, eats well and pretty much is a normal cat during the day. At night things get crazy. She's never slept in my room until she had surgery. Then it's the only place she would sleep. Now she will sleep in there during the day but at night she doesn't want to be in there and doesn't want me in there either. If I go in the living room she will climb in her bed and sleep for hours. I tried bringing her bed in my room but she will not get in it and just continues to wake us and get me to follow her out. I would have no issue with curling up on the couch for a while until she goes to sleep but we do not have a couch. Just a couple of chairs that are impossible to sleep in. I'm going to call her Dr today and hopefully he can give me some pointers because at this point I'm getting maybe 2 hrs of sleep a night and it's taking it's toll on me.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
There are also calming diffusers, treats and collars that might help.

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please try Rescue Rernedy- its not cheap but very effective-few drops in water or on tongue or rub on her ears & she will chill out very quickly- so sorry for her but eventually she should be fine