How Do I Remove Cat Urine Odor Off Rug?

glena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat urinated on my rug. Now the rug is stinking the whole house. I've tried cleaners like mr. clean and vinigar. Doesnt help. How can I get the odor out of the rug?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You need an enzyme based product like Nature's Miracle. Designed for pet accidents but has other uses, like when relative had a major pee accident in my car. Poured a bottle of this stuff on the seat and have never ever smelled a thing.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need an enzyme based product like Nature's Miracle. Designed for pet accidents but has other uses, like when relative had a major pee accident in my car. Poured a bottle of this stuff stuff on the seat and have never ever smelled a thing.
Yup! I spray on the enzyme stuff, then after a while wash with soapy water, rinse, then finish with white vinegar. Vinegar helps neutralize ammonia.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
In the range of $10 to $11 a bottle. Check petstores and online, there are several other brands that work the same.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was given a recipe for cleaner/odor remover.
1 cup white vinegar
1 gallon water
4 drops Dawn dish soap
Put in spray bottle and mist soiled area then sprinkle baking soda. Let dry, vacuum as usual. That didn't work.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer is what I discovered when I was having the same problem. Now months later the carpet still smells nice and fresh without a hint of urine. I used it in conjunction with a little bissel spot steam cleaner and now that urine spot smells better than the rest of the carpet not urinated on lol

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nature's miracle is the best. You can get it online at chewy but I'm pretty sure I've seen it at petsmart.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was given a recipe for cleaner/odor remover.
1 cup white vinegar
1 gallon water
4 drops Dawn dish soap
Put in spray bottle and mist soiled area then sprinkle baking soda. Let dry, vacuum as usual. That didn't work.

You really need an ezyme based cleaner for pet urine. Vinegar and water and dish soap won't do a thing to neturalize pet odors and messse. Any pet store sells cleaning products spefically for pet messes and even ones just for cat urine. You can also look in the pet aisle of a big box store like Target or Walmart.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tough one because anything I have used has the cat back peeing on the same spot. If it's the smell that bothers you can really really really soak the rug with vinegar and water mostly vinegar. A spray bottle won't work it's needs to be completely soaked and almost submerged in the solution.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can wash the rug I would add a box of baking soda (maybe a large box if you need to take it to a laundry mat for a jumbo sized washer.) If you can't wash it I would try Nature's Miracle. If it is carpet, install new carpet (the pee soaks down into the pad below and is almost impossible to get out.) If the cat is still peeing around the house skip the baking soda and go straight to the Nature's Miracle. Good luck.