How Do I Make My Cat Open Up?

pawzerz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats and they're all really great! But, my 2nd cat is often under the bed and very wary about new people. Toys also sometimes scares her a lot too... Any ways to make my cat calm and easier to approach?

She does not hiss nor scratch my hand, just runs away with fear. I've never hit her and it's been like this for an year now. My other cat does fight with my other cat and she does shed. This is also something i'm worried about.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like your girl is very shy and lacking in confidence. At this point, it's impossible to tell if your other cat is bullying her because she's so nervous (in the cat world, if you behave like prey you can expect to be treated like prey), or if the bullying is the reason she's become so shy and scared in the first place.

The good news is that there are lots of things you can do to help remedy the situation, though she'll likely always be a shy cat at heart and not very forthcoming around strangers.

I'd start by blocking off places where she can make herself inaccessible (under beds, behind furniture etc etc). This will encourage her up off the floor, and just that height alone will help a little in terms of confidence building. Provide her with a few more accessible covered areas, so she has some 'caves' to feel safer in at first. Cat condos, cave/igloo beds and even simple upturned cardboard boxes with a couple of 'doorways' cut out are perfect for this. If you fancy getting creative, this is a fun cave to build - How To Build A Diy Cat Cave From Cardboard

Next, go round your home, looking at it from a cat's perspective. Use vertical space (cat trees, wall furniture etc) to remove any dead ends where she could get cornered. Making sure she always has an escape route is key, especially with your other cat bullying her a little.
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Lastly, you need to work on reducing her stress levels and boosting her confidence, as well as spending some time working with your other cat to burn off her excess energy. Feliway diffusers are a great first step. They don't work for all cats, but can make a big difference to the cats who do respond to them. The most important thing for both cats is daily interactive playtime, and as much as you can give them. Work with each cat individually for now. Eventually, you may be able to play with them both together, but your nervy girl needs to build up her confidence first. Interactive play is a fantastic stress buster, and also works to build up a cat's confidence - both in themselves and in their territory. It'll build and strengthen her bond with you too :D For your bully-cat, the play will allow her to work off any frustrations and burn that excess energy in a positive way - a tired, played out kitty is far less likely to pick a fight ;)
How And Why Do Cats Play?
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To KnowSolving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have an introvert. He has been that way since he was a baby.
Advice I could give you is to gently talk to her, don't invade her personal space.
If she is under the bed lay down on the floor next to the bed and be close. Offer your hand for sniffs, if she doesn't pull away then gently stroke her cheek or below the ear with one finger(it feels like grooming).
If she likes it, she will lean into your hand. Don't pet beyond the head. Facial grooming pets. She may grab hold of your finger when you stop and that is a good sign.
She will gradually come out on her own as long she isn't forced. She may always be a hider though.