How Do I Make Home Entertaining Enough For My Cat So That He Doesn't Leave?

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Title, that's pretty much it.
Toys don't work.

--
I let him get on top of the the garage and watch the outside world for months. He knows very well what kind of world the outside world is. If he ask me to leave, I'll let him leave & returns home on his own. Soon I'm getting him a cheap tracking collar(Name: CAT TAILER -- 328 feet range, please tell me how good is this range/product) to check on him when late, that's all I have in my right now. He's friendly with stray cats, so walking him with a leash would definitely ruin the experience that he's looking for.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat trees, kitty highway shelves, window seats, birdfeeder outside to watch through the window, Yeoww catnip toys, laser pointer, toys on a pole.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he is pretty much an outdoor cat, then you don't have much of a chance to stop him from leaving when he wants and returning when he wants. The only way to stop that is to make him an indoor cat only. That would require setting up a place of his own that you can keep him in and help him to acclimate to being indoors. All of the suggestions that M maggiedemi has listed above are ways to help him acclimate to an indoor life.

I hope he has been neutered and vaccinated to help prevent health issues since he is allowed to roam the outdoors.

Perhaps, there are some tips in these TCS articles that might help you?

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. If he is pretty much an outdoor cat, then you don't have much of a chance to stop him from leaving when he wants and returning when he wants. The only way to stop that is to make him an indoor cat only. That would require setting up a place of his own that you can keep him in and help him to acclimate to being indoors. All of the suggestions that M maggiedemi has listed above are ways to help him acclimate to an indoor life.

I hope he has been neutered and vaccinated to help prevent health issues since he is allowed to roam the outdoors.

Perhaps, there are some tips in these TCS articles that might help you?

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)
He's a spayed indoor cat who'll just accept my decisions and be totally normal(quiet) if I decided not to let him out.

M maggiedemi Thanks. Unfortunately, shipping heavy items to my country is quite expensive, I have to pass on them and the catnip(don't want to see my cat act silly).

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I am sorry, I thought when you said he spent time outdoors on the top of your garage, that meant he either doesn't want to stay inside or he is an indoor/outdoor cat. That and the fact that you are buying him a tracker collar made me think he wasn't indoors only. Apparently, I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

Well, hopefully the second article I provided will be of some help anyway.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have to pass on them and the catnip(don't want to see my cat act silly).
They don't eat the catnip, it is stitched inside the banana toy, so they won't act silly. They just lick it and kick it around.