How Do I Know When To Move Past Stage 3 Of Cat Introductions?

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I’m new here, this is my first post! I have two female ragdolls, Lulu (8) and Mimi (7). They get along very well and always have. We have recently introduced a neutered himalayan male kitten (5 months old) in the home. I have tried to follow all the steps of cat intros, as listed in the article, with segregating/scent swapping (stage 1), then feeding on either side of a door (stage 2), and viewing each other through a glass door (stage 3). I have been swapping the cats on either side of the door so they can get each other’s scent better. I also have 2 Feliway diffusers on different floors of the house.

My question is what signs do I look for to know when I can allow them to meet face to face? Mimi is very timid and has been growling and hissing through the door to this point, but I noticed that she didn't do that this morning. She also did not like to eat too close to the door when the kitten was eating on the other side, but this morning she was able to eat side by side with him, separated by the door.

Can someone help direct my next steps? I really want this to go well for everyone’s sake. I’ve found that all the articles are more specific with approximately how long each stage might take, but have seen very little on how to know when to proceed from stage 3. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to securely prop the door open so they can sniff noses if they choose but not get to each other? If the kitten isn't scared of the carrier put him in it and let the girls and him snif at each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to securely prop the door open so they can sniff noses if they choose but not get to each other? If the kitten isn't scared of the carrier put him in it and let the girls and him snif at each other.
I could easily do that myself, I think. Although the gaps under my door are quite large - the house was built in 1890 and so I believe the are able to exchange scents that way. Or were you meaning more like a mini face-to face intro?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they can even reach paws under if they want to. Are the girls interested if you play with the kitten in front of the door?

If Mimi is till comfortable at the next meal it might be safe to try a face to face. At 5 mts he'd be able easily climb a baby gate but if the girls can get above him it could work.

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they can even reach paws under if they want to. Are the girls interested if you play with the kitten in front of the door?

If Mimi is till comfortable at the next meal it might be safe to try a face to face. At 5 mts he'd be able easily climb a baby gate but if the girls can get above him it could work.
Yes, they seem very interested. I just want to avoid a situation where Mimi is unduly stressed. They can reach paws under certain doors, but haven’t yet. I think I need to plan a vigorous play session for the kitten, feed them after he relaxes and is tired and less likely to bother them with his kitten energy and see how it goes. I don’t want to move to fast...we’ve only had the kitten (his name is Georgie) for 2 weeks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And two weeks is a bit of no time at all when it comes to cat introductions, you know. But do wear him out before feeding, that's an excellent strategy.

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
08700492-3BA3-40E5-A9DB-B22CFF831A04.jpeg So was able to feed the resident ladies on one side of the door with kitten right there. No hissng/growling...ready for stage 3???

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had this exact question about 18 months ago: When To Introduce New Kittens

Nobody had an answer - it really came down to how the cats were reacting to each other, how many steps you could take before the cats were actually able to get to each other, and how long you could stand doing this.

I sounds like you are getting pretty close to a supervised visit. How will you know it is time? You won't. You'll just get this feeling that you can handle it, the cats can handle it and then go for it.

Have a plan to separate the cats if everything goes to hell - we had a person per cat but no idea what to do if a real fight broke out - never did. You might want to introduce the new guy to the more accepting resident cat first and then mix in the less accepting cat a day or two later. The very first meeting might only last 5 minutes - let it go just until you notice one of them getting agitated and then separate them and call it a success.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone had great comments, I'll just add that a large piece of cardboard makes a great shield to separate or herd cats in a very safe and neutral way. Hope things go well!

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone had great comments, I'll just add that a large piece of cardboard makes a great shield to separate or herd cats in a very safe and neutral way. Hope things go well!
Great idea, thanks!!

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had this exact question about 18 months ago: When To Introduce New Kittens

Nobody had an answer - it really came down to how the cats were reacting to each other, how many steps you could take before the cats were actually able to get to each other, and how long you could stand doing this.

I sounds like you are getting pretty close to a supervised visit. How will you know it is time? You won't. You'll just get this feeling that you can handle it, the cats can handle it and then go for it.

Have a plan to separate the cats if everything goes to hell - we had a person per cat but no idea what to do if a real fight broke out - never did. You might want to introduce the new guy to the more accepting resident cat first and then mix in the less accepting cat a day or two later. The very first meeting might only last 5 minutes - let it go just until you notice one of them getting agitated and then separate them and call it a success.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your thoughtful comments! I am trying to be concientious and careful; to set everyone up for success. I will definitely read the article you posted, thank you so much!

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I put up two stacked baby gates knowing that Mimi is super timid and that she is going to be upset for quite a while. I was right - when they met at the gate, Mimi growled and hissed when Georgie appeared on the other side. I think we’ll be doing this for a while before they meet face to face. I’m going to do the feeding on either side of the gate until the growling stops and only then will I let them meet face to face without the baby gate. Does this sound reasonable? Is anything else I should be doing but am missing? Thank you for all your encouragement and help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is EXACTLY what I would have suggested. No, you are doing it all right. AND you are remaining mindful of the fact that you can only go as fast as the most reluctant cat is comfortable with. But you are progressing slowly but surely.

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Mimi has hopped the gate twice. She’s the one who I was being extra careful introducing the kitten to - can I take this to mean that she wants to meet him and it’s time to let them interact face to face? We’ve had several days of through the gate sniffing and being fed highly desirable meals. Is it time to let them establish their order in the house? So far it seems ok, Georgie approached, mimi hissed and growled and Georgie backed down. Shall I let them continue? It sounds like regular cat stuff, not the aggressive shrieking I heard earlier.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
If all Mimi did after hopping the gate was watch Georgie approach and give him the hissy/growly warning sounds, I'd say it's fine to try a face-to-face. Sounds like interaction is what will move this forward, and let them work out their existential cat crises. Good luck, I'm excited to hear how it goes!

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made sure to open up all the doors so there were lots of ways to escape, but Mimi went to her usual spot and Georgie left the area. I feel pretty positive about the way it went down - I’m glad it was Mimi who chose to initiate (rather than me putting them together before she might have been ready) - that gate was pretty high, and she hopped it not once, but twice to be on the same side as him. She’s the more playful cat between her and Lulu, and so I’m hopeful that she bonds well with Georgie and the two become playmates. I hadn’t intended to get a 3d cat, but this kitten needed to be rehomed due to some very sad circumstances and so I hoped that it work out for him here.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Good thinking, I like how Jackson Galaxy describes a "successful" interaction - basically having them all in the same room with no fights, and having them stay without leaving for increasingly longer periods. And hopefully an egress that is not very chasey or unpleasant. Glad it went well!

That's how we got our third cat, she was a twice-abandoned pet that "just wants to be an outdoor kitty" according to her last "owner". Well, she loves people and being warm and dry and she's absolutely delightful. Not sure the two boys agree on that last one, lol.

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, his previous owner was diagnosed with an terminal illness and given a very short time to live. They were devastated and wanted to find a happy home for him. I heard this story at my hair appointment and just felt exercised to help. I called my hubby, he said yes, and then I went straight to the vet to get some good information on how to proceed. They were supportive based on the personalities of my kitties, and so I picked up the kitten the next day. I’ve now got 4 kids and now 4 pets! :)