How do I know my Kitten is happy?

baileysmom15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

I'm a new kitten mom :)

I have an average busy lifestyle and live on my own in a reasonably spacious apartment.

My kittens dob is feb 23 2015,so shes barely 3 months. Ive had her for 2 weeks now and im sooo in love with her!

I just need reassurance that she's happy. She had her first shots yesterday, vet said shes healthy. But i notice she takes alot of naps, is that normal kitten behaviour? I also read it could mean cats are depressed if they sleep alot. I feel guilty that shes home alone while I'm at work. I try to play with her as much as i can. I try not to stay out for too long when i go out, since shes so little now and still adjusting i wanna be around her as much as i can.

Shes not very affectionate and doesn't like being held for long. Shes mischecious and curious about everything. She stalks me into the washroom and kitchen meowing lol she doesnt like cuddling.

Thats a summary on her behaviour. Do you guys think shes unhappy that she's home alone most of the day? Does she hate me lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baileysmom15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also add i have taken her out on a leash to play in the grass. I want her to stay active.

southbound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Naps are normal. I have a girl about 1 1/2 yo now who is very affectionate but hates being picked up.They're all different. I know it is not an option for everyone but I always made sure i had at least 2 cats near the same age for friendship as they get older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baileysmom15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would have loved to adopt my kitten and her sister together. But i just couldnt afford double the shots and getting them spayed same time etc.
You think shed be depressed without a friend?

Im going to look and see who else i know has a kitten to arrange play dates

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend 'play dates' - these are things for dogs and humans, not felines, who are inherently territorial, particularly as they mature (hence why cat introductions need a good protocol to be successful).

Of course, a permanent playmate is a different thing entirely.  But I understand why you have responsibly determined this is not currently possible.

As a first time cat - mom, I think this blog would be very helpful for you.  I wondered the same thing as you did about whether my kitten was happy, and then countless other things, and every time this blog was full of wisdom.  This is a post on whether your only cat might be lonely: http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/the-only-cat/7830/comment-page-1

Her posts on cat affection were also very illuminating.  Have a read thru those and don't worry about the not very cuddly thing; it's not the only way they display or recieve love, and there are things we can do to increase our chances of cuddles over time (without ruining the relationship).

Best wishes!