How Do I Know If My Cat Hates Me?

Ero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's 53 days old, he's really playful, he doesnt purr a lot, He only purrs for like 5 - 10 seconds at a time, longest one lasted for 1 minute and he was right next to me on the bed.
He's hyper when he wants to play, not pinky the cat's type of psycho hyper, just running and jumping around a lot, and only really likes to be pet when he's sleepy or tired after playing so much, he does play with me but as soon as I open the door he runs straight out sometimes (my room's door, not the house's. I plan on strictly keeping him as an indoor cat), he does follow me around the house sometimes, but I think its only because he wants food. :(
It's my first time getting a cat this young, so I'm not sure if this is normal cat behavior or not.
He's a british longhair, I know british short/longhair cats dont like to be carried a lot, but all my friends who own/owned british short/longhairs always said that they dont like to be carried but cuddled a lot.
When I pet him he sometimes gently bites and scratches my hand, I know that he IS biting gently cause a friend of mine tried to feed him like how he feeds his cat, by putting wet food on his finger and have her lick it off, but he was in the middle of eating so he didnt really notice that it was my friend's hand and bit it so hard he bled, but still, I dont know whether he's doing that to just play or to give me a warning to back off. He never really hissed or had his fur stand up at me or anyone/thing else, so I'm not 100% sure whether he hates me or not.
I am on feeding duty most of the time, and all of his things (toys, bowls, litter box, etc) are in my room, and its where he sleeps everyday.
I don't mind if he hates me, it's not like I'm gonna give him back, but I just want to know that so I dont try to play and pet him so it doesnt increase his hatred for me, if it exist.
Sorry for the long post and unnecessary details, I just wanted to make sure to include as many things as possible without it being *too* boring to read.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat or kitten has its own personality. But a kitten is normally very playful and active, and usually wiggles from your hands when you try to restrain it. Kittens are usually more interested in playing, and only cuddles when tired or sleepy.

Your kitty does not "hate you". He is just being, well, a kitten. :)
Soon as he grows older his playfulness will slowly be reduced, and you will just find him mostly sleeping or lying by the window.

Let your cat come to you at his own pace. That is how they differ from dogs. They are more independent-natured.

I think he is old enough to be neutered.

Enjoy many, many years with your cat. :)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat hated you he would hide when you are around and hiss or growl at you whenever he saw you. So, I don't think he hates or even dislikes you. He just sounds like your typical hyper young cat that would rather play than cuddle. As he gets older he may settle down some and want more attention.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is just being a kitten. Cats do not have the same emotions as people, they do not have our brains. He feels dependance on you for food and warmth, and appreciates it very much when you provide what he needs. As for the biting and playing rough, never use your hands or fingers as a 'toy' He is too young to know the difference. Kittens need to be in their family unit until they are 12 weeks old to learn how to be socially acceptable. They learn this by being punished or warned by mama, and getting back what they give from siblings. Kittens at your age have no idea what is expected from them. A finger with food is all food and they will bite hard to eat it. Wiggling fingers are prey and to be killed, literally, it is instinct. Get a kickeroo on Amazon or a pet store, a long catnip filled toy and throw it towards him when he gets too aggressive to distract him. Yell loudly and hiss at him if he attacks. It is what mama would do. Cats do not respond to physical punishment. They do not assocaite it with what they just did. It just makes them afraid of humans and sneaky. They must have something as a replacement that interests them more to change their behavior. For innapropriate scratching, get a cardboard corrugated scratcher to entice them. Don't want them on the counter? Don't have food there to entice them or make it not the place to be by lining the counter with place setting mats with double sided tape applied to make it sticky for them and not a place to be. Kittens are whirlwinds of energy and play time. They seem never to stop, they rest just as hard as they play. They settle down at around two years of age, and you will have a couch potaoe at times.
Most of all remember that tiny 53 DAY old is just a newborn baby, a miracle, and you are his parent now, his savior. Cats are capable of STRONG feelings and attachments to their new 'parents'. In time both of you will get used to each other and learn a new life's order of being a 'team' a 'family'. You will feel him worming his way into your heart, and he will love and feel for you as only cats can do. When you gain a cat's love and devotion, you have earned a treasure indeed, It will come in time, one day at a time.......

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's just a baby! And he doesn't have a cat family to teach him how to be a well-behaved cat. Which, even if he had the family, he probably wouldn't be at this young age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help.
I Guess I was just paranoid.
Also, I know he is too young to be separated from the mother, but the breeder for some reason put him and his brothers/sisters for adoption so I got him as soon as I could.
No, he isn't sick. I Went to the vet, he's as healthy as can be.
Also, I cant really spay him rn, but next month or so is his next vet visit, I'll have him spayed then.