How Do I Know If Cat Has Been Abused And What Are The Next Steps?

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I live in an apartment building and it's just getting colder and colder around here these days. There is a cat that is always at the entrance door of the apartment building, and whenever she is out she just stands near the door and waits for someone to open and comes in and just stays inside at night. The Laundry Room is also on the ground floor and there is a window that is sometimes open so she gets in and out through there whenever it's open. Now this cat, is , without a doubt, one of the most loving cats I have ever seen. Seriously, i've been around my fair share of cats, and this one is just so happy to interact with humans, always rubbing up against any and everyone that she sees, rolling around on the floor at any sight of a human being. Even when I have deliveries come to my door I open and find her rubbing against the delivery guy. Today I opened my door and walked to the elevator and I saw her, I knew right away something wasn't right as she was crawled into a corner. I called her over and I noticed some redness around her nose and what appears to be a few blood spots. Obvious signs she was kicked in the nose and hard by someone inside. Now I came closer to have a better look and she just ran off, talk about unusual since as I mentioned this cat is just out of this world loving and affectionate. I don't want to go around making accusations and i'm not sure how to go about it since there are about 20 units in the apartment building. And even though i've seen other people petting her, i'm sure there's some people who don't appreciate seeing a cat inside the building roaming the stairs. Still, it's not a damn excuse to go ahead and severely kick the cat in the face. Now i'm not even sure that's what happened, but I haven't seen the cat since. I am going to take a picture of her face next time I see her and upload it here but i'm almost certain she was kicked and kicked hard. Especially since I mentioned that this cat adores people, literally she would have been so unsuspecting when she got hit that i'm also worried she will now be scared to approach humans. I had been thinking badly about letting her stay in my house, only thing is I wanted to take her to a vet first, have her checked up, cleaned etc.. But I really don't want to let whoever did this off the hook. Question is if I call some of the local Humane Society how the heck are they gonna know who did this. Breaks my heart

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bring the cat in. Keep her in your bathroom or spare bedroom if you have other cats. Take her to the vet to be evaluated for any injuries. If the vet determines that her injuries are consistent with abuse, the vet staff will know who to report it to. The apartment management may have camera footage of the incident, but this is up to the investigating agency to figure out.

First step for you: get kitty to the vet to document her injuries. They can't do anything without a professional saying that a crime occurred.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you for having a big heart and caring about the well-being of this cat. She sounds like a stray who probably once had a family. I hope she comes back, and you are able catch her, get her vet checked, and give her a fur-ever home.

Here's a few TCS articles that might be helpful:
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Adopting A Stray Cat
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

My Ruby, apparently was taken to the shelter by a woman who rescued her after she saw kids kicking her. Ruby had broken teeth and a wobbly eye when she arrived at the shelter. She is also a sweet, trusting cat, and it breaks my heart whenever I think of what she must have gone through when she was a stray. She's been with me now 5 years, and she never goes outside, and has the best life a spoiled cat could ask for. I hope the same happens for your stray.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got some pictures. One of them I had taken of her before on a chair I had put outside my apartment door. That was a couple of days ago.

These are from today. Notice the nose. I don't know, at first sight I thought this was blood that had dried up, now not so sure. Anyway, the cat is in my house right now, I brought her in not wanting to take a chance if there was any abuse, that it would continue (in case it was anyone from the building, which I can't say for sure anyhow). Gonna call up HS

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear she's inside. And I see something different on her nose from the first pic to the later ones, so a vet checkup seems in order.

She is a beauty. Have you named her yet? :catlove:

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat is doing great. I'll spare you the details of what the vet told me he thinks happened to her. What is important is that she is fine now, staying with me indoors, won't be going out anytime soon!

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't spare us the details! Let us know what happened to her.
Nose bruise consistent with a kick to the face, other bruises over thorax, neck and head area. Camera footage is available in the building and management informed they will be contacted

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh. How sad. I'm so glad they got it on camera. That sweet little kitty didn't deserve that. You called it; good for you.

Give her love and affection, and she will warm up to you. She will learn not all humans are the same.

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohhh. How sad. I'm so glad they got it on camera. That sweet little kitty didn't deserve that. You called it; good for you.
I don't know if they'll get in on camera, also this could have happened while she was outside. However I informed management of what happened and that I had reported the incident and that they might be contacted to check on available footage.

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give her love and affection, and she will warm up to you. She will learn not all humans are the same.
She is so warm it's really remarkable. I'm not even exaggerating, i've known this cat for about 2 months, and every single day she shows just as much warmth. she's been inside the house before but only for short spurts then I would hold her and put her outside again, so it's been fun to watch her explore the house while she's been indoors for the past 24 hours, but she still comes over as soon as i call her and is just so loving. Like this cat was literally kicked in multiple places on her body this week, and is still just as caring and affectionate. Really remarkable soul!!

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I truly believe they know who harms them and who doesn't. She knows she's safe with you.
Maybe so, I definitely think she grew up around humans from the time she was a kitten. She is so trusting. I spoke to a couple of my neighbors who told me she was just as affectionate to them, purring, rubbing against their feet, rolling around on the floor at the mere sight of them. Definitely one of a kind, at least for me. I'm sure people on this forum have been around loving cats before but for me, having owned a cat 5 years ago, being around multiple of my friends' cats, and other strays, this is a first!

MagicMania91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor girl. So glad she found you, her guardian angel. :petcat::catlove::heartshape:
Kind of you to say! to be honest i wasn't at a stage in my life right now where i was thinking about having a cat (for several personal reasons). But this cat deserves all that is good in the world. So much unconditional love

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving this sweet cat! You deserve to have this angel in your life as much as she deserves having you, her own angel. The people on this site are really helpful in every way, so post in the right spot with any questions and you'll get good answers. One thing I will say, when she is feeling better, have her spayed. Then her desire to roam will be gone and she will never try to leave you. Good luck!!