How Do I Keep My Cat From Moving When Trimming Nails?

bigluvgoboom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I adopted my cat, Lucy almost 2 months ago (wow it doesnt feel like its been that long). Recently I have been trying to cut her nails and it is harder than I thought it would be. Ive found that the best way for me to hold her is to set her in my lap with her back facing me but 1. she doesnt like to sit in my lap and 2. she doesnt like me to hold her paw up (but she is ok with me extending her claw)

does anyone have any tips on how I should trim her nails? like how I should hold her?
thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigluvgoboom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also is it normal that when i first adopted her every night she would sleep with me but now she doesnt even want to be on my bed at night? and is there a way to get her to want to sleep with me?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put the cat on a towel or blanket at your level like the kitchen counter so you can lean over them. You can also wrap the cat up in a towel like a burrito. Some cats need to be scruffed to have their nails done. They are all different. You have more control over them when they are at your level though.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my mum’s cat doesn’t move too much, but she will bite when you cut her nails, so my mum puts her in a towel to stop her from moving at all, but also puts the corner of the towel over her head and tucks it under the cat(she uses a large towel). She puts her on her lap and takes the paws out from under the towel one at a time and trims them quickly. I have yet to try it with my newly adopted cat Sophie. We’ll see how she deals with it. Good luck!