How Do I Help My Cats Get Along Better??

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a month ago I brought a new kitten (about 8 months old) home in hopes that my kitty that i already have, (about 5 months old) can make friends with them. i’ve VERY slowly introduced them to each other, and i’ve finally got them able to tolerate each other in the same room. Koda (5 month old) is super playful and energetic compared to Luka (8 month old) he only likes to get really hyper every once in a while lol. it seemed like they were playing with each other at first but i noticed Luka started hiding away from Koda and yelping a little bit when she would pounce on him/playfully swat at him. I know Koda sometimes can be a bit rough so i was wondering if that’s why he was yelping. but now he hardly wants to play with her anymore and he yelps and hisses whenever she tries to play with him. ): and has even growled a couple times. But I don’t think Koda wants to hurt him, she’s just a bit of a bully. I don’t really know what to do or how to make the situation better. I don’t want Luka to decide he wants to attack her because he’s a lot bigger than her. but he’s a generally docile cat and is kind of a baby lol so I think he might just be a little scared of her. He doesn’t like it when she pounces or swats at him but whenever she’s not looking he wants to pounce and swat at her lol (in a playful way i think?) Koda just seems to constantly be messing with him. Does anyone know of anything I can do to make Luka warm up to Koda more and not wanna hide or hiss at her? I don’t want either of them to be stressed out and it’s stressing me out!!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you play with each cat separately, especially to really wear out Koda and try to keep her energy directed at toys rather than Luka? Playing with Luka alone should also increase his confidence levels.

Then later on, play with them together to hopefully continue to get Luka more confident?

also, try music as well :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's only been a month, some times it just takes certain cats longer than that to get acclimated to their new place and to another cat. Do they eat together, sleep together, use the same litter boxes, etc?

As Furballsmom Furballsmom said, Luka likely needs to have his confidence built up in his new home - he knows Koda was there before him and given that she is a little pushy he is still a little concerned about her, and where his place in the home is.

It might help when she gets too rambunctious with him to pick her and remove her from the area. That will help him with feeling as if you will protect him and teach her that she crossed the line with her behavior. If Luka won't stand up for himself at this point, you will have to.

Here is an article about trying to correct an unsuccessful introduction between two cats that might help you as well.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction