How do I help my cat from being stressed?

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have a cat named Loki who I've had for about a year and a half. He is about 5, domestic longhaired, neutered male. We adopted him from animal control after he was abandoned in an apartment when the tenant moved out. When we first got him, we had another cat who was about 1 1/2 and really rambunctious. Loki had some urinary problems (stuvite crystals) and the vet told us they were related to stress. Since then (about 9 months) we have moved across the country. Monty, the 2 year old) stayed in BC with my boyfriends parents since they have an acreage and Monty is an ex stray and we were moving to the city. It just wasn't the ideal situation for him. He is very happy there and Loki has really come out of his shell now that he is an only kitty. Trouble is, he still seems to be having stress issues. His crystals came back last week (he's been diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis) and he still does quite a bit of stress grooming. He is terrified of feet with heavy boots on and aerosol cans. Unfortunately we are pretty sure these are too to his previous home :( he also eats grocery bags if he can get ahold of them. What can I do to help?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive heard of the feliway diffusers. Have you tried it yourself? I do play with him as much as I can but I've yet to find something that gets him really excited. He usually loses interest pretty quickly

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feliway can help, just be sure you have it in the right location or you have enough for the square footage of your home/apartment. 

Another product to try is Liquid Composure Max.  It has calming properties to it and works quite well.  You can find the best price on Amazon.  They do sell treats as well, but some cats do not like the taste of the treats.  The liquid is easy to mix into wet food. 

You can also look into Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences.  I have had great luck with his products. 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Feliway can help, just be sure you have it in the right location or you have enough for the square footage of your home/apartment. 

Another product to try is Liquid Composure Max.  It has calming properties to it and works quite well.  You can find the best price on Amazon.  They do sell treats as well, but some cats do not like the taste of the treats.  The liquid is easy to mix into wet food. 

You can also look into Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences.  I have had great luck with his products. 
what would we do without behaviorists?

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have personally used Feliway and Rescue Remedy.  They calm my cats during car rides.  My ex-stray goes crazy in the carrier, crying and clawing at the door to get out.  After a few minutes he quieted down.  

The only thing is that I always used them together so I'm not sure which one is the one that works.  

I also play Music My Pet on my ipad for them, although I'm not sure if it works or not.  There are studies though.  

I would say your best bet is to make and maintain a routine.  Feed him at the same time everyday, keep furniture in the same places, etc. 

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Feliway in my tiny apartment. At the same time, I leave the radio on for him while I am gone. It seems to work. Playtime is a must and maybe good diet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! I'd never actually looked at the Spirit essences web site although I do "like" Jackson Galaxy on Facebook and see him posting about it often. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one I should try based on what I've shared about Loki? So many choices! And a lot more affordable than I had imagined.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wow! I'd never actually looked at the Spirit essences web site although I do "like" Jackson Galaxy on Facebook and see him posting about it often. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one I should try based on what I've shared about Loki? So many choices! And a lot more affordable than I had imagined.
Stress stopper for sure and maybe try the UR fine too for urinary issues.  You can also contact Jackson's team and ask them which remedies they suggest.  I have done that a few times.  He sells through this site and also on Abe's Market and Amazon too I believe.  Abe's Market is always having coupons.