?How do I help my cat feel more secure outside with the repair men?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie is a kitty that NEEDS his 2 hours of outside harness time every day. Normally this isn’t a problem. He hangs out in his area on his 22 foot leash & I read. I take him for 2-3 short walks every day. Unless it rains. On super cold days I put him in a fleece and we only stay out an hour.

Thing is the elevator in my building is being repaired. The equipment and stuff is being stored/used in the ally & storage trailer right near my porch. So it means 2-5 men out there, working all day long. He is majorly freaked out by this!

Today he wouldn’t go past my porch & spent most of his time, inside, poking his head out the sliding glass door. He was ok with me carrying him to the front yard area to wander around a bit up there. Once they all left he went for a short walk but was still nervous.

I have heard elevator repairs can last 2 weeks or more. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Any idea to help him feel more secure would be appreciated! Would a box outside help him safe?

I took this picture of my new plantings and caught the trucks & stuff in the ally:

3A60CCEC-8C2F-4F0E-BD7E-7E85A3874E4B.jpeg
Here are some pictures of garden where he hangs out & the ally that dead ends right by my apartment.

EE5D5E6C-CA12-4F4D-A209-32E99EE03A8A.jpeg
F7E3BC80-B8B5-4F8B-B828-35CB83C09BFC.jpeg
A4925DEE-48D2-49E3-B685-AFBBF37D1421.jpeg
B5603438-E0C7-4365-8243-90E2BFCD5DCB.jpeg

Here is Jackie’s favorite spot in the area by his porch:
F7E3BC80-B8B5-4F8B-B828-35CB83C09BFC.jpeg

& Jackie having fun climbing a tree a bit in the front area...., he jumps that high! Hangs for a bit, then jumps down. 🤣
1A03221B-19E3-4BD9-ABEE-D074314565EA.jpeg

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May as well ask the elevator guys. Maybe this will be a quick one, and you just keep kitty inside for a day or two. If it will really be two weeks, she'll get used to it.

I don't think I've ever seen any tactics for how to get cats used to repair people because normally they dont get used to it. Mostly, we tell people to let their cats hide, with the understanding that they will come out if/when they want too. But if its two weeks, then I'm sure kitty will get used to it if you keep being your usual supporting & encouraging self. At least if there isn't a lot of drilling/banging. Loud noises at random intervals are hard.

If its going to be two weeks, and there is a lot of drilling/banging, find out what hours are they working and if they take lunch at the same time every day? Maybe you can adjust your timing.

Third photo looks vaguely turtle-ish with the way the vest is lying :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He is still nervous. A box helped a bit today so tomorrow I will try draping a couple towels over the patio chairs and maybe put a cat bed or cushion under one. I have to leave the sliding glass door open for him & just heat my place again after they go inside. I have been trying to leave the bedroom window open a bit so he could watch them through the screen a few hours each day (screen door is broken & have an escape artist.)

There is the occasional thumps and rare saw or drill outside. They stay until 5 when the sun is setting. I will ask about lunch breaks.

The notice said until the 25th! So it is going to be weeks.