How do I get our kitten to be friendlier with me?

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Southern Indiana, United States of America
Hello everyone. Back in November, we adopted a kitten who was already about 6 months old. His name is Tigger. We already have a neutered male Siamese who is 2.5 years old who has been with us since he was a small kitten. The Siamese cat's name is Simba. Anyway, Simba has a very close bond with me whereas Tigger seems to prefer my husband. Both of them also like our son but Simba is less fond of him than Tigger. I'm wanting to give Tigger more attention and pet him more but he won't let me. I pet him for a few seconds and then he takes off. I think that perhaps Simba is jealous of Tigger and that is causing this. The reason why I think this is because often times when I pet Tigger, he notices Simba nearby and then stops and runs off. Also, Simba will often come and watch when I am petting Tigger and this seems to make Tigger leave. What can I do so that way I can have a closer bond with Tigger? I am hoping there is a way to do this without making Simba more jealous. Simba and Tigger get along very well for the most part.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, do the two cats get along and spend time hanging out? Could you try playing with both cats with a toy like da bird?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait until Tigger is very sleepy or already asleep and scoop him up for some cuddle time. Usually a kitten will conk back out in seconds but he will enjoy the snuggling and hopefully begin to see you as the person to go to when he needs it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, do the two cats get along and spend time hanging out? Could you try playing with both cats with a toy like da bird?
Thanks! They get along great for the most part. They're always chasing each other around and play wrestling with each other. Sometimes they even groom each other. I do occasionally play with both of them together but I should probably try that more often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would wait until Tigger is very sleepy or already asleep and scoop him up for some cuddle time. Usually a kitten will conk back out in seconds but he will enjoy the snuggling and hopefully begin to see you as the person to go to when he needs it.
Thanks! I try that but he only lets me play for a few seconds before he pushes my hand away with his paw and then he gets up and walks away. This is always about the same time that Simba comes in to check on him and I too.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When my tortie was 9 months old, she was a holy terror and had no interest in cuddling or sitting on my lap. She's 8 now, and is a velcro cat. I feel like I spend most of my life peeling her off of me. So maybe once he grows up and that silly side evens out, he'll be more interested in being with you.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I try that but he only lets me play for a few seconds before he pushes my hand away with his paw and then he gets up and walks away. This is always about the same time that Simba comes in to check on him and I too.
That is why he needs to be asleep or very sleepy. One thing most cats love and will send a kitten off to sleep is to slowly stroke their nose from tip to forehead.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is why he needs to be asleep or very sleepy. One thing most cats love and will send a kitten off to sleep is to slowly stroke their nose from tip to forehead.
This works so well on wild kittens when they're tired. Plus, that little spot from nose to forehead is so velvety soft, it's hard to resist.