How Do I Get My Cat Used To Living With Other Cats When I Don’t?

Becca_and_remmy77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat needs to get used to sharing his space bc he will soon, how do I get him used to that before the other cat moves in?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't, really. You could try to have some visits from the other cat ahead of time, but even then you would need to follow standard procedures for introducing two cats. I would suggest you read up on what you need to do to set the stage for when he has to cohabitate with another cat. Here are some articles that might give you some ideas on what you could ahead of time, and how to help you prepare when they are living together.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Btw, has your cat ever been exposed to other cats? If so, how did he do? And, in what circumstances?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think there's any way to get him used to living with another cat before the other cat moves in.

Just be prepared to keep the new cat in a separate room or area at the beginning, totally separate from your resident cat.

The articles FeebysOwner FeebysOwner linked will give you a good idea of how to do the introductions between the 2 cats.

Here's another article that might be helpful:
The Multi-cat Household

Good luck.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the only thing I thought of (apart from already mentioned preparation) is scent swapping, if the cat lives close by; you can bring home something that carries his scent, like blanket, etc. But this is by no means necessary at this point.
You can start practicing patience as you will need a lot of it in the introduction process :)