How do I get my cat to use and get used to her new cat condo?

robynandcakecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi recently bought a cat condo for my cat and I'm having trouble on getting her to use it. Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Robynandcakecat

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Does she like catnip?  I used spray catnip to get my cats to check out a new tree I'd got for them.

The one I have is called Bliss Mist:  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Catnip works well in most cases. I taught my girl to use her cat tree with a wand toy - get her playing and into the toy, then slowly drag the toy around and up the tree. She should naturally pounce it, and in the process realise what a great place it is to scratch. Once she's made the connection, she should naturally chose it for scratching on :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robynandcakecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I'll try catnip!
Thanks for your help,
Robynandcakecat

reina88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually I just read the forums occasionally, but I decided to join today when I saw your question, just in case by some chance you have a kitty that doesn't start using it with catnip. (Like mine. She doesn't react much to catnip.)

I had to show her it was fun to use her condo by having her chase a cat wand toy onto the different levels. It only took a couple play sessions to eventually get her onto every level, and now she loves it. I had to do the same thing to get her to try the scratching post. Basically, get her to climb up the post as she was hunting the wand.