How Do I Get My Cat To Stop Drinking From The Toilet?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try those child safety locks for the toilet ... and a cat fountain.
But first if not rinsing the heck out of the bowl after washing and when refilling it doesn't help. Nothing wrong with drinking from a bowl if it was only a little soap left over causing the problem. Fountains are not as easy to clean as a bowl and they require cleaning.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to answer and say "Put a padlock on the liquor cabinet", but then I saw the rest of the title...."from the toilet". LOL!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that does the same thing. I got the fountain, and although he does drink from it sometimes, he prefers the toilet. I kept the lid down for a long time, and he ended up with struvite crystals. So I keep the toilets clean and let him drink from them. He's very persnickety about his water, and won't drink it if it's not super clean. To me, this is safer than a urinary blockage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Galixy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to answer and say "Put a padlock on the liquor cabinet", but then I saw the rest of the title...."from the toilet". LOL!
lol have you ever seen this move wear the guy turns into a cat and get liquor from the cabinet and drinks it then gets drunk and like sleeps up the wall

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats drink from the bathroom faucet on a low/small stream ... and a bowl of water by the sink that I rinse/refill 3-6 times a day. Plus other bowls of water.

monroeandroscoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats will drink from the toilet so I've just made a habit of keeping the lid down. If you're worried about her not getting enough water try and see if she'll eat food with some water added to it.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
A stainless steel fountain the smallest pioneer pet (my favorite now, because I can clean it in my dishwasher) is around $30 in the US.) filled with filtered/bottled/purified water (tap water smells of chlorine, which cats react to, and they may not drink it for that reason) will probably entice your cat away from the commode, once hey acclimate.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
A stainless steel fountain the smallest pioneer pet (my favorite now, because I can clean it in my dishwasher) is around $30 in the US.) filled with filtered/bottled/purified water (tap water smells of chlorine, which cats react to, and they may not drink it for that reason) will probably entice your cat away from the commode, once they acclimate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Galixy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats will drink from the toilet so I've just made a habit of keeping the lid down. If you're worried about her not getting enough water try and see if she'll eat food with some water added to it.
she actually loves food with water in it :3

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol have you ever seen this move wear the guy turns into a cat and get liquor from the cabinet and drinks it then gets drunk and like sleeps up the wall

I think it was Nine Lives? I only watched the first part of it.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely scrub your bowl out before you get a fountain. Do you give her tap water? Maybe try bottled water for a bit. I would definitely try the teardrop from Pioneer Pet on Chewy.com (it is like Amazon, but with faster shipping and less pricey) especially because they're having a sale.

But like the others said, try getting any soapy residue off of the bowl your cat is supposed to be drinking from first. Then, I would try bottled water if you use tap water.
Then, maybe it is time for the fountain.