How do i get my cat to eat uti food?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has another episode and I'm frustrated because I can't get her to eat uti food.
Bought some can of Royal and hills. I don't know how to please my cat taste buds. She will have to be on antibiotics again 😭😭😭.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does she normally eat canned food? If so, you can try mixing the new food with her old food to see if she'll eat it, then slowly increase the new food and decrease the old food. If she doesn't normally eat canned food, try crushing up her typical dry and sprinkle it on top of the new food.

Or just try using other things as toppers for the new food. We use a LOT of freeze dried chicken on our house. Works pretty well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried mixing but she sniffs it out

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I tried mixing but she sniffs it out
Then try mixing a little less of the new food, and very slowly increase it as she becomes accustomed to it, or try using toppers. Does she like any treats? If so, try crushing those and using them as toppers.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try. I used an appetite stimulant and got her to eating her uti food.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try nutritional yeast flakes as an enhancer. You can get it at a health food store, in bulk in places like Sprouts, or online. Sprinkle a little on top of the food. You could also try adding a little bit of warm water to the food.

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What food are you giving her? Definitely mix with something she likes. Maybe try plain yogurt. Just a little. Cats are actually lactose intolerant but they love it in my experience.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm giving her Royal canine uti can food. She finally ate it. But no idea how long she will eat this for. I'm going to mix those gravy things for cats. She doesn't like the cat freeze try toppers.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat loves the fancy feast gravy pate. I did mix that in the hills wet food yesterday. I probably need to find more brands to switch around 😭

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are super picky. I don't know about my farty kitten cause she's not had it but none of my cats will eat pate. It has to be the fancy feast special stuff. Like Florentine or Tuscany. Or the delectable I think it's called. They go nuts for those treats that look like chocolate.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat only likes pate. If it's chunks she would not care. Think she got picky again 🥲
She ate so well and got sick of it. But she seems to feel better today unlike yesterday. I'm trying to be strict with her because I need no more vet visits.

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are always children. One day they like it, next they don't. I'm glad she's doing better. Just keep trying new things. If she has to go back to the vet, she has to.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping the antibiotic shot won't affect her much. The liquid and pill was giving her loose stools

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Try forti flora or purina proplan calming care for yummy appetite stimulants. My vet sells single packets of it. Or tiki sticks,freeze dried treats for toppers

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh for sure the fortiflora. All my cats go crazy for it. Even my picky eater.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat must not be normal. She hates forti flora

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we are desperate to get meds into ours, we use grated Parmesan cheese. Strong smell that helps cover whatever we are hiding in there.
good luck - it can be so stressful when you know they need to eat and they won’t.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat must not be normal. She hates forti flora
my cat hates that too. and basically all forms of food toppers. and all forms of wet food textures other than a very runny pate -- think a slightly melted McDonald's milkshake. dry food she does like slightly better though but we have yet to find a treat she likes.